I want to make studio monitors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys :)

Ive decided that i want to build my own low bougdet studio monitors for 2 reasons.
1. To learn more
2. Having fun building and messing with tools :)

If you guys have any articles, tips, well known kits, speaker elements, cabinet design and more i would really be happy if you share your knowledge.
For starts, I came a cross this nice kit...
Mavin 6.5" Dual Woofer Tower Speaker Kit with Plans 250 watts, 32 Hz. to 22 kHz. | Mavin the Webstore

Does any one here have any experience with them?

I thank you in advance.
Isak :)

Joined 2014
Paid Member
A few questions: What are you doing with them, in what size room, and how much can they cost from what vendors ?
If you are mixing your own recordings Paul Carmody's Hitmakers are hard to beat at four times the price. Those Mavin kits lack value, as you'll end by making your own crossover.

I bought two of those woofers and was very unimpressed. YMMV. Plus I'm skeptical about using off the shelf crossovers. I second using one of Paul Carmody's designs - Hitmakers, Classix 2, Classix 2.5, Overnight Sensations TMM and other inexpensive, but very good speakers. Meniscus Audio sells kits and you can pay to have the crossovers assembled if you want. Diysoundgroup also sells kits of Paul's designs (not all) with CNC'd cabinets, but you'll have to assemble the crossovers. Lots of good choices!

A few questions: What are you doing with them, in what size room, and how much can they cost from what vendors ?
If you are mixing your own recordings Paul Carmody's Hitmakers are hard to beat at four times the price. Those Mavin kits lack value, as you'll end by making your own crossover.

Hitmakers look great! Do you know of a cheap but worthwile class-D amp to put into the cabinet and make these powered monitors?

I see Parts Express sells a kit for Hitmakers, but it includes the cabinet. I guess they orovide the parts list so one would buy the parts eparately without the cab.

ohhh wow guys, thank you for your replays :)

boswald -
going to make music, mix and master to my self.
I thank you for the Hitmakers tip, i'm sure they sound great but i dont know how good they are for producing music.

milkshake -
Google Minidsp, buy a measuring mic and follow the guidelines of that site
thank you for the tip, i found this great amp for the project :)
miniDSP PWR-ICE125

ernperkins -
I bought two of those woofers and was very unimpressed. YMMV. Plus I'm skeptical about using off the shelf crossovers. I second using one of Paul Carmody's designs - Hitmakers, Classix 2, Classix 2.5, Overnight Sensations TMM and other inexpensive, but very good speakers. Meniscus Audio sells kits and you can pay to have the crossovers assembled if you want. Diysoundgroup also sells kits of Paul's designs (not all) with CNC'd cabinets, but you'll have to assemble the crossovers. Lots of good choices!
thank you very much for your reply, through your post i found a lot of good stores and info :)

this are my finding so far...
my direction is more like the Paul Carmody's Carrera
Carrera - undefinition
after reading what this little speakers can do the freq response i want it.
i found this amazing minidsp amp -
miniDSP PWR-ICE125
it can run 125W for each element.
it haves its own crossover that i can program connecting to PC/MAC, so i can buy only the elements and not the full kit unless you guys say otherwise.
the only "problem" is the minidsp amp is 4ohm and the elements of the Carrera speakers are 8ohm, should i expect any problem?
here are the elements -
Scan Speak, 15W8530K00 - Meniscus Audio
Hiquphon, OW1 (Pair) - Meniscus Audio

if you have any comments about my choices please tell me!
another question, are there any good CNC kit for the cabinet i can order or specially made by request?

cheers,
Isak.

I’ve heard the Carrera’s and they are great speakers - the Scan produces an amazing amount of bass for a driver that size and the Hiquphon tweeter is superb. But it’s Paul’s crossover design that makes the Carrera. He is one of a handful of designers I know that can always get the most out the speakers, whether they are high end like the Carreras or budget like the Hitmakers. That’s why I would be very wary about replacing Paul’s passive crossovers with active versions unless you have a lot of experience and confidence in your crossover design skills.

Just a quick note.

If you are going to record live drums, you might want to reconsider using such a small woofer. You can get large differences in dynamics from the kick drum depending on the drummer and it is easy to over stress the bass drivers. That is without limiting across the kick drum which is usually not a good idea when track laying.

i find out that 10 min drive south from my house lives a hifi speaker designer and 10 min drive north is the MOREL factory :)

im already working on a new design cabinet with the dude ive mention above.
i will use 2 X 5.5" and 1 X tweeter that i yet to choose.
so it will be very interesting, if we will manage to come up with something nice i'll post here.

cheers :)

get an active monitor from Genelec at ebay it is a professional tool i saw these everywhere in low budget recording studios JBL makes also good monitors
Thank you for your reply.
I used to have all kind of so called "pro" studio moniotrs.
From the moment i find out the elements of the studio monitors cost so chip ive deside to build my own monitors.
For example...
Take barefoot studio monitors, they are very expensive, sound very very good.
Their tweeter cost no more then 21.5$, and their high end top of the line studio monitors tweeter cost 148$.
So why the hell i should pay so much money for something i can make my self and with a bit of research do to it better, the way i like it.
I build my own synthiszers, i build my own effects, i will build my own studio monitors, even if i will not make it in first time so in the second or third time i will make it, i will succeed.
I dont need to pay of others marketing products, ill buy parts and learn how to do it.

Cheers :)

ok ambition....but for very good reasons monitors for professional use turned active already in 198ties and today they are highly sophisticated no DIY has the means to do such....ok the cost is very high but if you are a pro you don't have a choice your competitors have that stuff if not i would buy used at ebay because you won't even unintendedly tune your takes according to the usually poor acoustical characteristics of a low budget studio good recording monitor is too high for DIY

1) and 2) are valid reasons for anybody. :)

Give long deep thought to 3) though :)

Hint: look at the schematic for any modern Studio Monitor (I can upload a couple if you don´t find them): they are active (of course) but main point is they are chock full of tuned circuits, all over the place,clearly dedicated to **erase** unavoidable peaks and dips present in every real world speaker component.

Obviously those manufacturers spent a lot of time and effort (which means lots of $$$$) tweaking them, cost *should* be very high, but it is not because it is spread over thousands of units.

You will have to do the exact same job, maybe not having the same amount of measuring equipment "they" use, just to match them, let alone surpass them.

Unless you want to set up a Factory , for a couple units you will get better results (let alone spend less) by buying ready made.

Speakers *are* real beasts to tame.

That said, it´s your time, money and effort, so if you wish to go that way, I wish you the best. :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.