Bi-Amping/Active Crossover w/ HT Receiver...?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Got it.. will snag one then, thank you.

Is there an inexpensive class AB amp you guys like to use as the 2nd amp w/ receiver? Seems like most everything is class D now. I will use D for the sub, but not for the woofers on the main speakers.
So, an amp with 2 channels, 80w or better rms to match the receiver... bonus points if it comes complete, enclosed, and black. :)

Right, I don't have a problem with using it for my HT sub, but I'm not sure I want to use it on the bi-amped woofers on my mains...

To be honest, I'm considering just using a 2nd receiver of similar vintage to mine as a 2nd amp...

So, signal out of 1st receiver preamp - active crossover - 1st receiver amp (mids/highs) / 2nd receiver amp (lows)

Last edited:
Not lacking in space, just don't want a bunch of little boxes all over. Its only an aesthetics thing, so not overly important anyway. I dont care for the look of the Behrenger crossover or the yhe iNuke D sub amp either.. but such is life :)
Yes I only need 2 additional channels to bi-amp the front mains. Another receiver would have extra unused channels
.. til I decide to Bi-amp center and rear channels too ;)
Admittedly price is a major factor here - a secondhand receiver (with good class AB amp) for 50 bucks seems better than paying for a new Chinese class d amp that is more expensive and puts out less power.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
-The yamaha is a perfectly good amplifier, but if I cut in between the amp/pre-amp RCAs with an active crossover, I can only connect back in the high or low frequency leg... Meaning that any amplified sound from the receiver from the center/rear/sub* outputs will only be the highs or low frequencies (above or below 150 hz).

I doubt that is true.

The pre-outs/poweramp in sound like they ar eonly for the LR channels.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
An XO solution based on the Linkwitz boards will likely be an order of mabnitude better than the ProPA XOs like the Behringer.

Simpliest, with no electronic intrusion, and very low cost is a PLLXO (passive line level XO). One can build it into the cable for minimum footprint. The speakers do need to be designed to work within th elimitations they have.

A class D amplifier for <150 Hz (even <1000 Hz) should be fine. Do get a decent one thou. Where Class D usually have issues is in the higest frequencies because the switching frequency is inadequately filtered out.

dave

Hi Dave, yes we figured out that the preamp/amp coupler was specifically the front mains, so it should work fine...
I did forget to look back into the pllxo stuff.. more learning to be done... always more :) thanks!

I wondered about the behringer pots vs fixed resistors... but probably worth it to have that adjustability, adjust frequencies, levels, etc.. rather tempting in that regard.

I'm about to just buy a similar 2nd receiver to use as the amp for the woofers, have extra channels for later. This way its even a class AB amp, but on a budget .

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I wondered about the behringer pots vs fixed resistors... but probably worth it to have that adjustability, adjust frequencies, levels, etc.. rather tempting in that regard.

The pots give more flexibility, but lack accuracy & repeatability. Cheap ProPA stuff is not noted for their sonic capabilities.

I'm about to just buy a similar 2nd receiver to use as the amp for the woofers, have extra channels for later.

And how would you get at the other channels? I would advise getting a discrete amplifier, perhaps with a gain control (necessary for use with a PLLXO).

dave

Try to find a receiver with 6.1 inputs. This would be any better receiver from the pre-hdmi era. It will give u access to its power amps with volume control working but no bass/treble control. Word of caution, 95% of receivers exaggerate their output. 80 Watt receiver will only deliver 80w while drivin 1 (maybe 2) channel.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.