Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Help interpreting room acoustics measurements
Help interpreting room acoustics measurements
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th August 2017, 04:26 PM   #1
kaputt is offline kaputt  Germany
diyAudio Member

Default Help interpreting room acoustics measurements

I finally bought a measurment microphone to be able to guess a bit less when building speakers. To use what's offered I also did room measurements that seem off. First the gear:
Dr. Jordan microphon (IEC60651 Class 2)
RME Fireface UCX interface (set to 96kHz)
FuzzMeasure 4 software, loopback function enabled
Class D amplifier board, flat from 20 to 20k
The microphone was placed pointing downwards onto a carpet, room center distance to carpet 1.5 meters.

Plots:
Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.

I hear a distinct slap echo after the sweep is done and always was aware of a very distict slap echo when clapping my hands. When doing the measurements I heard the sweep ring for about two seconds after the sweep. Neither the waterfall plot nor the RT30 plot seem to show any of that, right?
Am I misinterpreting the graphs or just expecting too much?
I would be happy if you could could give me some input on that matter. If you need more details, let me know.

*Dear moderators, I didn't know where else to post this, if there's a more suitable subforum please move it. (hoping this doesn't turn into one of these that end up in the Lounge )*
Old 17th August 2017, 04:36 PM   #2
fatmarley is offline fatmarley  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaputt View Post
(hoping this doesn't turn into one of these that end up in the Lounge )*
Yes It's shame when that happens. I don't think they realise the value of some of the threads that are placed In the Lounge.

BTW - Can't see any of your pictures.
Old 17th August 2017, 04:43 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Sorry, in the original post the links don't show up for some reason, here are the images.
Old 17th August 2017, 05:48 PM   #4
eriksquires is offline eriksquires  United States
diyAudio Member

These are too small for me to read, but a slap echo you will see a dip and re-appearance. I do see that towards the lower part of the range, just below the second numbers I can't read.

The first signal has a strong bass mode. See how it vanishes and comes back a couple of times?

Best,

E
Old 17th August 2017, 05:56 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Sorry, look at the initial plot. On the left is the highest point, that's the bass mode I see. now follow the Z axis towards you and you see it go away and return.
Old 17th August 2017, 09:53 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I see theLF mode, the slap echo is more in the 1kHz range.
I tried three image hosters and with two nothing shows up and with the third the thumbnails don't get bigger when clicked...
Old 17th August 2017, 09:56 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriksquires View Post
The first signal has a strong bass mode. See how it vanishes and comes back a couple of times?
So the slap echo doesn't necessarily show as a long extension in the z axis, but more in the fact that it decays and comes back again?
Old 18th August 2017, 01:59 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Yep. If you can hear it as a distinct set of "bam bam bam"

DIYAudio does it's own image hosting. Use big pictures, and click "Go Advanced" and upload your pics. Then once uploaded you'll see a list of pics. Right click, copy link, and then you can use the image icon.

Best,

Erik
Old 18th August 2017, 05:54 AM   #9
fluid is offline fluid  Australia
diyAudio Member

Unless you have your room or speaker calibrated when you measure a speaker in a room it is a combination of the two.

If you want to see how the room affects the speaker the ETC (Energy Time Curve) or spectrogram graphs are very useful. In the ETC you will see the impulse and then later in time the reflections. The spectrogram will give a different representation.

The length of the sweep you use will have a big impact on what you hear when listening to it. If you use a short sweep at a high level a very large amount of energy is output in a very small time, in a room that sounds really loud and is likely to excite the echo. Use a longer sweep and it won't sound the same when you listen to it.

Without seeing the scale of the graph it's hard to judge but the RT60 seems quite even and if it is the range of 400ms then it is a fairly normal room without much treatment. Your room won't be ringing for 2 seconds unless you live in a concert hall

A waterfall or CSD graph can be very tricky to interpret because it depends very much on the window settings you have chose. In all the graphs there is a trade off between frequency and time accuracy. When one is more accurate the other is less.

REW Room EQ Wizard is free measuring software that has good graphs and is familiar to a lot of people on this forum. It is free, try it out.

Is your microphone calibrated and do you have a 90 degree file? If your mic is calibrated for 0 degree (pointed straight) and you use it at 90 degrees there will be quite a difference in the range above 1kHz, if it isn't calibrated at all that adds another unknown into the mix.
Old 18th August 2017, 01:13 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I tried another time to attach images. Looks like it worked finally. Thanks for the heads up, Erik!
@fluid I'll try a longer sweep, maybe 10 seconds? Might doing sweeps with a limited frequency range be helpful? Like sweep 20Hz to 200 Hz in 5 seconds?

Another thing: when I wrote that I can hear the ringing of the room for two seconds after the sweep is done I only assumed that there is an issue with my measurements. Is it possible that my ears are ringing and not the room?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg waterfall.jpg (432.7 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg RT30.jpg (284.8 KB, 35 views)

Help interpreting room acoustics measurementsHide this!Advertise here!