Does Bi/Tri-amping make sense for me?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks, guys.

I'm going over the articles...the technical biamping page is especially useful for learning. I don't plan on buying anything more than $1-200 without doing research. I figure anything less than that, if it's not an improvement, it's at least a new toy I can fool around with.

I do have a mic (one of the Dayton USB models, forget which) and have used REW etc in my previous home...just never had the time or space to follow it up with room treatments and other corrections. That's also in the works, but I'm ADD and can't focus on one project at a time...

And thanks for the suggestions on the other products...I only mentioned miniDSP since it's the only one I know...any other products are welcome, as well.

Thanks, guys.

I'm going over the articles...the technical biamping page is especially useful for learning. I don't plan on buying anything more than $1-200...

Let's see, that should buy a DCX2496 (a very durable device which has seen no need for a major upgrade since first introduced) and a small amp on eBay. You'll never look back.

Having a DSP is like wishing you could try some major system revision and then realizing you CAN do it by pressing a few buttons. Fantasy come true. DAMHIK.

Elliot's write-up (and a peek at the Behringer manual on the web) would convince anybody.

BTW, and speaking scientifically, you learn a whole lot more from doing mic testing when you can do comparisons (like seeing the effect of some EQ introduced by your DSP device or shifting crossover points or slopes or time delays or lots of things you can't do feasibly any other way). REW is well set up to do that kind of incremental comparison.

B.

Last edited:
They all need replacement if you need analog sections.
That's seems a very preemptive assertion. I and (guessing) 100,000 other amateur and professional owners might disagree with that. Have you modified yours?

Despite the occasional plea for help modifying these units on this website, I have yet to ever see measurements proving any audible shortcoming. Any problems in the total unit are far below anything I can see with my measurements.

Having said that, to save two conversions and for various reasons I am using USB to coax SPDIF input, bypassing the analog input section, about $35.

B,

Last edited:
Ben - Dave is not the only one to voice that assessment of the Behringer unit. Behringer Mods - Upgrade DEQ2496, DCX2496, SRC2496

I was about to make an analogy to McDonald Big Macs, but changed my mind.

At least one of the newer models of miniDSP is absent the onboard DACs that where considered an Achilles heel on the entry level 2x4, but of course that then means one channel of outboard DAC for each passband, cabling, etc before the multiple amps. TANSTAAFL

Ben - Dave is not the only one to voice that assessment of the Behringer unit. Behringer Mods - Upgrade DEQ2496, DCX2496, SRC2496
You are quoting the guy who sells the mods!

I just repeat, many many happy users, some unhappy users, no proof of audible shortcomings. And I don't see posts claiming ear-opening benefits after doing the mods*.**

Like with Diet Coke, not a perfect dietary choice, but if you want a sweet drink, sure beats regular Coke for health.

B.
*Unlike motional feedback in subs where people generally rave
**All digital devices show slips and glitches and these can be improved, esp. in a budget device like the DCX2496. You can see scope pix in the digital forum. But in the audio realm, THD+Noise is very low.

Last edited:
Ben- fair enough. FWIW the only DCX2496 I've ever heard was Gary Pimm's highly tweaked out unit, driving his Franken-speaker three - or was it 4-way? powered by his SS amps. Live recording of "O Fortuna" was the singular most memorable listening experience of my 50+ yrs in this hobby.
And that was 2008, during the intervening decade, it's probably safe to say that strides have been made in DIY/consumer grade DSP crossover / room EQ options.

As for the Diet Coke analogy, there are folks who'd love to argue with you the "merits" of artificial sweeteners, or Coffeemate whitener vs dairy, or .... you pick your poison;) - I'm marrried to one such.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.