Choice Horns 1.4" neutral sound

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
A well designed and built long horn does not honk. At least not with a decent crossover.
On the flip side, beware horns that are too short, as they can have beaming and horn "Blat" or the sound of the CD breaking up at medium volumes.

Much preferred over the two other waveguides I tried, Pyle PH916 and FaitalPro LTH142

This is not the first time that I have read that about the LTH 142 but I do still not know why. Someone mentioned that the dispersion of the XT 1464 would be better at its upper end but no other "complaints" about the LTH 142.
If it is just a frequency response thing then it could probably be EQed out. I am interestd in the LTH 142 because it is smaller and it looks prettier than the XT 1464 ( Unison Research uses it in the production version of their MAX 2 Speaker). I will probably build a 12" version of my MTM and I will cross over a little higher than I do with the 15" version and that's where ther LTH 142 might come in handy.

Regards

Charles

from a F point upwards, we know K-tubes will work. WVL was enthusiastic but the public doesn't seem to accept the looks of the things so there's a marketing problem.

(WVL's field coil driver looks stunning)

3daab7c4a6b42d48e09c32fb31c04f2d--wolf-audio.jpg

here's my 115BK some years ago with a custom 1.875" ID x 9" long tube - derived from an X15 Karlson tube of the 1960's. Karlson had a strange beveled 1"Id transition piece in an 1.875" x 7.25" K-tube - subjectively, it sounded fine, but could measure rough (probably from the transition "jump") - another specimen of X15 appeared to have a 1.2" ID tube x 7.25" long - that probably measured pretty smooth.

XeJTZ38.jpg

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.