CSS SDX10

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was looking for an SDX10 for the Jeff Bagby kit to turn the Kairos into a 3-way and found out that CSS has been purchased and is operating under new ownership. I heard Bob was getting out of the business.
Glad to see someone else is keeping these drivers alive. Jeff Bagby said the 10" and 12" subs are some of the best he's ever used and I was really looking forward to building this kit.

They don't have any in stock right now though. Only taking pre-orders for now. I messaged through the site and they said there was no stock left when they took over. The website also says the supplier agreements changed so they are increasing the prices but they are taking the pre-orders at the old price for now. They said a few months before they would be in stock.

The new address is Creative Sound Solutions | High End Speakers and Speaker Kits

Ive used them as well, in a dual ported and a dual sealed design. Both are quite good. Im surprised to hear the stock was depleted. It wasnt long ago Bob reordered the sdx10 and had quite a few.

Where do you live? I dont have a need for my sealed sub if you want them at a reduced price. Hardly any use. Doesn't make sense if you live in the US though.

The SDX10 is a good driver indeed, but more and more competition nowadays at this price range or so:

TIW 250 XS
10W1v3
10W3v3
UM10-22

to name a few...

I'll pass on those JL subs. Especially the 10w1. I've heard their low end stuff and they are not impressive. Considerable markup for the name on them. Both the 10w1 and 10w3 have less excursion and stamped frames whereas the SDX10 is cast and the other two are cast. I know they aren't using copper in the lower end JL subs either.

The Visaton driver looks interesting but also has less XMAX. The Ultimax seems to be nice but sensitivity is rather low and I've heard that the sound quality isn't as good as the SDX10. Probably great for sub only. I think the Visaton would make a good bottom end of a 3-way but not great for sub duty. The SDX seems to hit a sweet spot of sensitivity, bass extension, and XMAX. It seems to be a unique driver in that respect.

I'll pass on those JL subs. Especially the 10w1. I've heard their low end stuff and they are not impressive. Considerable markup for the name on them. Both the 10w1 and 10w3 have less excursion and stamped frames whereas the SDX10 is cast and the other two are cast. I know they aren't using copper in the lower end JL subs either.

The Visaton driver looks interesting but also has less XMAX. The Ultimax seems to be nice but sensitivity is rather low and I've heard that the sound quality isn't as good as the SDX10. Probably great for sub only. I think the Visaton would make a good bottom end of a 3-way but not great for sub duty. The SDX seems to hit a sweet spot of sensitivity, bass extension, and XMAX. It seems to be a unique driver in that respect.

Design and construction quality is far better on the JL's compared to the SDX. Like comparing a Subaru and a Porsche.

Cast frame is not a guarantee of quality and stamped frame is not an automatic tell for bad quality. It all depends on structural needs and the way the design and industrial processes are done.

Everything is in the design and execution.

CSS is made in China stuff and looks like it. JL audio chepeast series are made in China too, but obviously under strict supervision by JL's headquarter.

Design and construction quality is far better on the JL's compared to the SDX. Like comparing a Subaru and a Porsche.

Cast frame is not a guarantee of quality and stamped frame is not an automatic tell for bad quality. It all depends on structural needs and the way the design and industrial processes are done.

Everything is in the design and execution.

CSS is made in China stuff and looks like it. JL audio chepeast series are made in China too, but obviously under strict supervision by JL's headquarter.

I'm sure JL's quality control is great, but I've never heard about problems with the SDX10 or SDX12. Other older CSS products have had issues, but not seeing any on these two. Obviously JL's cone looks better, but you pay for that. You can continue to pay for the looks and high end brand name all you want. I'll pay for what matters - sound quality. Good looks don't guarantee quality any more than a cast frame. However, stamped steel on a subwoofer is waaaaaaaay more likely to flex under high output.'

Also, I've owned a JL amp before that fried a channel, so every manufacturer can still have problems, even high end ones.

Last edited:
I'm sure JL's quality control is great, but I've never heard about problems with the SDX10 or SDX12. Other older CSS products have had issues, but not seeing any on these two. Obviously JL's cone looks better, but you pay for that. You can continue to pay for the looks and high end brand name all you want. I'll pay for what matters - sound quality. Good looks don't guarantee quality any more than a cast frame. However, stamped steel on a subwoofer is waaaaaaaay more likely to flex under high output.'

Also, I've owned a JL amp before that fried a channel, so every manufacturer can still have problems, even high end ones.

JL is a bass transducer manufacturer, not specialized in electronics.

You pay a premium for looks ?
First of, what looks ? :eek:

I think you pay because they delivery results and reliability. Never fried a single JL driver in my life, even the cheapest ones. Speaking of which, you find the WX and W0 series expensive compared to the competition ? Take a look on the actual street prices. Pretty fair-priced i would say. In fact, even the W6 and W7 is a fair price for what it is.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.