Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Got recipes for ACTIVE + OB + FAST ?
Got recipes for ACTIVE + OB + FAST ?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th August 2017, 12:56 AM   #1
JonBocani is offline JonBocani  Canada
diyAudio Member

Question Got recipes for ACTIVE + OB + FAST ?

Was nicely surprised by the results of my little summer project with 18FH500 and 3FE22 on a Open baffle (ok, ok that's not really a FAST since i cross high, but still...)

any other FAST driver's duo that you would recommend for OB set-up (with the help of active/DSP/EQ) ?

was thinking of a el cheapo FR10+12WXv2 for my next project, but maybe there is some other recipes that could be nice to try...

P.S. i don't expect anything massive in 1st octave, but still something decent in the low-end...
Old 12th August 2017, 03:27 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Done.

12WXv2 + FR10

Click the image to open in full size.

That one was a bit of a challenge to DSP adjust, didnt sound right at first but now i got it! Sounds like 5k$ boutique's speakers

Plenty of low end but far less efficient than the 18FH500/3fe22 so i should consider having more powerful amp (and more gain).

Once EQ corrected, the FR10 sounds very good. Un-EQ? It sounds like an elevator speaker!

So far, that's the cheapest true-fullrange-10-octaves kit i've found (that can produce decent SPL). Once the baffle optimised, i'm sure it will be even better.

FYI: 370hz @ 48db/oct on the miniDSP plate amps.... Will upgrade to 2x4 HD and more powerful ICEpower amps.
Old 12th August 2017, 03:49 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I might try to combine another wideband with the 12WXv2, maybe a 4fe32 or a 4fe35...

any of you guys made the comparison between the neo and ferrite versions ?
Old 12th August 2017, 05:01 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Visaton BG 13 P

BG 13 P - 8 Ohm

Nice smooth directivity pattern for a 5'', excellent Mms/Sd ratio, 92db eff and very high Qts... Looks like a very good choice for the price.
Old 12th August 2017, 06:29 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Ok, just ordered:

Faital Pro 4FE32 - 4 ohms version

Visaton BG 13 P - 8 ohms

Dayton audio PS65LP - 4 ohms

All very interesting drivers, especially the slightly more expensive Dayton that is very efficient.
Old 14th August 2017, 10:27 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Just got my hand on a pair of Tang Bang W5-2143... Really good potential for what i hear so far! Lots of energy and great resolution, i'm not a huge TB fan but this time they nailed it.
Old 16th August 2017, 06:22 AM   #7
goodguys is offline goodguys  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I've tried visaton b200 with excellent results, got them hooked up with an active sub, try the darkstar thread for more info
Old 16th August 2017, 02:41 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Yes i know very well the now-discontinued B200, an excellent driver but more of a wideband than a fullrange. But still, since i have many of them on hands, i might as well retry them! Maybe with higher crossover point and more EQ on top octave...
Old 16th August 2017, 02:52 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Last project i did with the B200 was a 3-way along with RAAL ribbon tweeter and dual TIW 250 XS subwoofers + DEQX DSP

Basically, that's an excellent midrange. As you can see, there is not much energy below 600hz (got something better out of a 4'' from Faital!) and the directivity pattern is very limited for anything higher than 5-6khz.

Unless your standards are low, it's almost unusable above 12khz, therefore not FAST material from my point of view.
Old 17th August 2017, 12:05 AM   #10
goodguys is offline goodguys  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I agree, i used a b&c twt to cover the top end and active sub for the bottom, did sound nice.

Got recipes for ACTIVE + OB + FAST ?Hide this!Advertise here!