Got recipes for ACTIVE + OB + FAST / WAW ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Was nicely surprised by the results of my little summer project with 18FH500 and 3FE22 on a Open baffle (ok, ok that's not really a FAST since i cross high, but still...)

any other FAST driver's duo that you would recommend for OB set-up (with the help of active/DSP/EQ) ?

was thinking of a el cheapo FR10+12WXv2 for my next project, but maybe there is some other recipes that could be nice to try...

P.S. i don't expect anything massive in 1st octave, but still something decent in the low-end...

Done.

12WXv2 + FR10

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

That one was a bit of a challenge to DSP adjust, didnt sound right at first but now i got it! Sounds like 5k$ boutique's speakers :D

Plenty of low end but far less efficient than the 18FH500/3fe22 so i should consider having more powerful amp (and more gain).

Once EQ corrected, the FR10 sounds very good. Un-EQ? It sounds like an elevator speaker! :p

So far, that's the cheapest true-fullrange-10-octaves kit i've found (that can produce decent SPL). Once the baffle optimised, i'm sure it will be even better.

FYI: 370hz @ 48db/oct on the miniDSP plate amps.... Will upgrade to 2x4 HD and more powerful ICEpower amps.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last project i did with the B200 was a 3-way along with RAAL ribbon tweeter and dual TIW 250 XS subwoofers + DEQX DSP

Basically, that's an excellent midrange. As you can see, there is not much energy below 600hz (got something better out of a 4'' from Faital!) and the directivity pattern is very limited for anything higher than 5-6khz.

Unless your standards are low, it's almost unusable above 12khz, therefore not FAST material from my point of view.

I just finished building up a set of Tang Bang W5-2143 myself.

I went sealed (0.2 ft) for the TB driver. I am using a set of CSS 7 inch woofers in a ported box (0.75 at 30Hz) for the bass. Currently splitting at 240Hz with an old DBX pro Xover.

May experiment with a minidsp and an OB for the TB for fun too in the future. That 5 inch driver works well for me!

That's the 15W0v3 free air baffleless, uncorrected & fullrange (sorry about the 1/3 octave)

Looks good! Plenty happening above 100hz. Will surely work out something good up to 150hz and even more..

Also, plenty of sub-bass potential as you can see (free air, baffless and still 25hz popping out)

Also used that for testing:

Handled very well, didnt bottom out at all, got a 80db SPL reading without pushing.

:cheers:

Quick follow-up on the 2 drivers above, since i made some testing and listening (free air, not yet on baffles)

Dayton PS180

Pros:
.: Very good construction quality, i'm impressed.
.: Extended highs, very present above 15khz, no need for tweeter
.: Seems to have some good power handling, not out of shape too quickly

Cons:
.: Bass shy, and i mean anything below 1khz seems thin. Even free air i expect some meat around 500hz...
.: Needs EQ corrections. Wouldnt use that driver without EQ, bass/mid/high needs some balance.
.: 4.6mm Xmax seems a bit optimistic too me, i'd say that's rather the Xmech...

Basically, the question is (for me at least) is it better than Tang Bang W5-2143 ?

Maybe. Maybe not. Will have to compare side to side. The TB W5-2143 is my reference for fullrange of less than 100$ so far, along with the Airborne FR151.

Last edited:
JL audio 15W0v3

Probably my best bet so far to get decent first octave in Open Baffle. Completely in control even with pure bass tones at 25hz and 20hz... free air (!)
Qts of 0.48 helps, i guess. High Xmax (underated, obviously) probably helps a lot too... Not as impressive as the 18FH500, but very interesting for different reasons: smaller and better low-end potential.

That one will need a real OB test, looks like a keeper.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.