4 inch Midranges - Price Performance ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ahhh, interesting. You know, speaking of being "off spec" I have a pair of 18W/4531 which yes, were off T/S parameters, but also, the top was a lot smoother than spec as well. Maybe I did something wrong, but that raised plateau at the top end SS is famous for in the mid-woofers really wasn't there. I measured a hump around 1.5kHz. If I had wanted to deal with it I could have probably extended the range out to 3-4kHz.

This sounds familiar - see post 85 :)

Are you confident that the "more detailed/responsive driver" thing is the end result? That is, can you tell the difference once the driver is part of a system?

Some people would say no...

I have read the whole thread where JonBoncani tested the midranges. There are flaws in that test though it is informative. More detailed/reponsive driver will be more likely noticed at higher than at lower midrange frequencies. Since I'd use 15W up to 2.5KHz it can hardly be compared with say RS225 he tested because i would never use it that high.

Having that in mind, look at these two measurements. It is practically the same driver but one is bas-midrange, other is dedicated midrange. Measured in the exactly the same conditions sao the results are comparable:

http://audiocomponents.nl/download/scan-speak/15M-4531K00 - Hobby HiFi 2003-2.pdf

http://audiocomponents.nl/download/scan-speak/15W-4531G00 - Hobby HiFi 2003-4.pdf

Look at the waterfall, but look very carefully. See how 15M shuts down much faster through the entire spectrum than 15W. It is more obvious at lower frequencies, but also quite a difference higher in spectrum.

...I recently got a pile of 6.5" Audax clones (good drivers and cheap locally), partly with this last idea in mind - run multiples, with the additional drivers supporting the lowest octave, to let them cover a slightly wider band than a single driver could.

In quick one-on-one tests vs. the ScanSpeak 15M (triple the $), my clones sound a little better ...but that's without EQing, and not as part of a system.

I'm all for the idea... There are lots of measurements of Illuminator 12MU and i'm the heretic who always says that two W4-1337SDF or two ZA14W08 in mtm would measure and sound better and for far less money - roughly four W4 or ZA14 cost less than one 12MU.

Well, it depends what do you consider subtle. We are splitting the hair in two regarding harmonic distortion - is 0.1% hd3 better than driver that has 0.5% at a certain frequency. Difference between csd in these two drivers would be much more than decimal figure of one percent and (imo) we are much more sensitive in changes/aberations in csd than in harmonic distortion.

Though i admit that resolution that Hobby HiFi magazine uses is good mostly for spotting large ridges of resonance.

Last edited:
Unfortunately yes. I tried to align it on this pic to make it more obvious.

Attachments

• 15W.jpg
    15W.jpg
    247.2 KB · Views: 306
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.