4 inch Midranges - Price Performance ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thinking about finally diving into a 3-way with a 4" midrange, probably an MTW design, with the midrange at ear level.

I love my Scanspeak 6.5" but would rather spend Discovery prices.

I'm wondering if you kind folks have any experience in cost saving and performance of the current crop from SB, SS, etc?

I'm not worried about application just yet. :) But for instance, the SS Discovery midrange has a very nice response, making it very adaptable.

This would be for a traditional, not high efficiency tower.

Best,

E

I'm still planning. Budget may change as income does. :)

Looked at the 5FE120 , really nice response, and very useful sensitivity / power handling. At $40 it's about the same as the Peerless I was thinking about, with much better power handling.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Yep, there are some surprising drivers out there. It was the FaitalPRO 3FE22 3 inch neo that I heard alone in a sealed box. We were all amazed. Yes, a sub woofer <100Hz helps fill it out, but it does a good job all by itself.

Sorry Pano, I'm half asleep and that sounded rude. :) I meant to say, I am not too interested in deep bass from this, so it is OK with me if it cuts off early.

I'm thinking of using a two-channel IcePower plate amp with built in DSP right now, one for bass, one for mid/tweet. Passive crossover between mid and tweet. Solves a lot of issues.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.