Best hole cutting method? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th March 2004, 11:30 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Best hole cutting method?

What is the best method for cutting the holes for speakers? I have seen the router templates that Parts Express sells. Just not sure how they will work.

I will be flush mounting them as well. So I assume once the hole is cut, I will use a rabbit bit on my router to allow the flush mount.

I looked at using a jigsaw, but it's impossible to get a clean cut.

What's the preferred method?
Old 27th March 2004, 11:36 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I have a circle cutting jig I bought at Sears for about $20. I'm pretty happy with it. It doesn't have any measures on it like the jig PE sells, but I'm not sure I'd trust the jig's measures anyway.
Old 27th March 2004, 11:40 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Is it used with a router?

If so, what type of bit do you use?
Old 27th March 2004, 11:50 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

DIY circle cutting jig:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg circjig.jpg (37.4 KB, 951 views)
Old 28th March 2004, 12:36 AM   #5
Variac is offline Variac  United States
diyAudio Editor

SB,

IMHO the router should always be the first choice for circles.
I use the plastic Sears jig and it's fine.

For recessed driver mounting, I first cut the larger recessed part, to full depth on both speakers, It usually takes a couple of passes to get the width that you need, I do equivalent cuts on both speakers before changing adjustments.- a pain , but keeps the sizes consisitant. T I reduce the diameter more to the hole size I want and run a circle, increase the depth ,then run another circle until I'm through About 1/4" is as deep as I go on a cut.
I use a bit that makes a flat bottomed groove. Get Carbide bits
Old 28th March 2004, 01:28 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

I tried a jig saw to cut a hole a few times & the best I could ever do was barely fair. Mostly they looked like my dog gnawed the holes for me. Router is the only way to go IMO.

I spent the $30.00 on this jig, and it is well worth it. You do have to drill holes in it to match up with the holes on your router.

http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPR...0&LARGEVIEW=ON

You can make the same jig out of a $6.00 piece of acrylic from Home Depot, but cutting the recessed slot on the bottom just wasn't worth the effort for me. The nice thing about a jig with a slot though is that you can set it to the precise hole size you need.
Old 28th March 2004, 01:31 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Also the size matters. If I can I always use hole saws. But those only usually go up to 4"-4.5". But these are the most convenient and precise for me.

For stuff like woofers, I usually use a compass and draw the circle, and then use a hand scroll saw. Always works for me.

However I don't have a house yet, so I'm limited to hand tools. The ways described above using the routers are much better. Except for the small holes, I still think hole saws are the best method (for standard round holes that is).
Old 28th March 2004, 02:08 AM   #8
Variac is offline Variac  United States
diyAudio Editor

I have a 4" hole saw. I tried to cut my 15" woofer opening with a jig saw. Try a router and you never go back!!
Old 28th March 2004, 02:29 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

I think the router with a circle cutting jig is by far the best way to go. Doesn't matter if it is homemade with a piece of masonite and a pin or a Jasper Jig which for the person who was cautious about it's accuracy is dead on accurate.
Unfortunatley not every has a router and the thought of spending any more money on tools to make a set of speakers (especially a 150 router plus 20 1/4 straight bit plus the 30 jig) causes me strain these days.

Here is an option that you can do with a jig saw. Take any strong 1/4 inch material (masonite, luan, etc) that is bigger by about 4 inches over the radius of you circle to be cut and hotmelt glue it to the bottom of your jigsaw foot. Now take your 1/4 inch drill bit and drill a hole the radius of your speaker cutout away from the outside edge of the blade. Grab a 1/4 dowel or pin and drill a hole at speaker center and you are ready to make a pretty clean cut. You will need to drill a pilot hole for the jig saw blade as well and be very careful as you come around to where you started but I think you will be very satisfied with the hole.
Old 28th March 2004, 03:13 AM   #10
Banned

For this
Click the image to open in full size.

non circular hole is used

Click the image to open in full size.

Hide this!Advertise here!