Tutto italiano! 3'' & 18'' OB dual-angle

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Lil' summer project!

.: 2-way
.: Open baffle
.: Faital Pro 3fe22 (16 ohms version)
.: Faital Pro 18FH500
.: Bamboo structure with dual angle (5 & 10 deg as it is right now)
.: screw-less assembly, tight fitting (adjustement under the bases)

Will do some tests with passive xover but the idea is to go active with miniDSP.

That will probably be one of the very few solutions for a near-full-10-octaves with a 2-way OB. So far these 2 drivers amazes me! Can't wait to try the 18FH500 in stereo, finally.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Hmm, where do you want the acoustic crossover, around 500Hz? Bamboo is nice!

anything between 600hz and 1700hz works well with 48db/oct electronic crossover, but to my surprise i prefer between 1200 and 1700hz so far... There is so much energy from the 18FH500, you want that. :)

Here is the response curve with 1680hz xover 48db/oct and some basic EQ. Please don't mind the 50hz-15khz as the built-in mic is obviously not very good, there is much more low-end than the graph shows... it's just to give an idea. Will test with my RTA/earthworks mic later...

still completly flabbergasted by the 18FH500.

Just took another look at the Faital Pro catalog, and it's the 18FH500 alone that has such unusual specs alltogether (Fs 30hz, up to 3150hz, 99db 1w/1m, xmax 9.25mm, etc..)

Think of it: more than 2 liters of air displacement and it can cover just about 7 octaves...

Are you finding any issues where the big driver might be overdriving the diaphragm of the small one from sharing the same baffle like that? (Just something I've wondered about when seeing designs like this.)

So far no problem whatsoever, but i just started the testing though...

I soon failed to see any potential using passive crossover (6db or 12db), so i quickly moved to the DSP/48db/oct solution. Much much better blend between the 2 drivers, even nearfield.

Some might find it less than optimal to cross that high (1680hz as of now) but lower crossover point works as well, it just doesnt blend as nice to my ears and lack the 18's energy, but it works.

Did a test yesterday with a pair of RAAL 64-10 ribbon tweeter (everything EQd obviously) and... it works! Crossed around 2.7khz, both the ribbon and the 18 incher can handle the stretch. Of course, that's less than optimal but it opens the door of a tweeter match with the 18FH500, probably like a bigger ribbon such as the 70-20XR or the 140-15D. If you don't care much for the ribbon's sparkle, the Beyma TPLs would work great as well.

So basically, the 18FH500 is not FAST material, it's a... wideband!

This might be useful for optimising what you've got:

Zaph|Audio

He's emphatinc about using a braced and damped baffle for his testing, because "Just propping up a big board with a driver in the middle of it results in some pretty bad board resonances that can propagate back into some of the measurements"

I used 20mm thickness bamboo, cross-structure 4-ply and it works well. But you're right about bracing though, i might just make the lower part (where the most stress is) a bit stiffer with some reinforcement.

Beautiful work.

I am wondering why you went for the 16 ohm version of the 3".

Thanks!

16 ohms version has the nicest curve and specs of all 3 versions, but frankly onced EQd like i'm doing there is probably no noticeable difference...

FaitalPRO | LF Loudspeakers | 3FE22

Basically lowest Mms (good for efficiency and top octave) and higher Qts which is better for OB (even though probably totally useless crossed that high)...

also, if i change my mind and what to reuse them i can easily make a line array out of 16ohms versions..

Last edited:

Just took another look at the Faital Pro catalog, and it's the 18FH500 alone that has such unusual specs alltogether (Fs 30hz, up to 3150hz, 99db 1w/1m, xmax 9.25mm, etc..)

Think of it: more than 2 liters of air displacement and it can cover just about 7 octaves...

Do you still use these OB?
How do you like the 18"? I'm going to use it to cover the second octave (50-200hz, passively filtered up only) and it's the best unit overall in my simulations. Price is alright too.

Still only usable to around 1.5k due to beaming.
Although the driver is very good I don`t know if I would want it to cross it as high as 1.5k.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.