Morel cat378 plus rs180p........

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Regarding tweeter notch... From web calculators nothing good can be derived for any specific driver. Properly implemented notch filter flattens the impedance and reduces the output at Fs. Personally, everything above -25dB at Fs i don't consider a good design. There are tweeters that can maybe endure that, but there is no reason to stress the tweeter. How many octaves the xover frequency is far from Fs doesn't mean a thing. With sharp filter it can be closer, with shalower it must be as far as possible. See pic.

KT-M3-Sim-Tweeter-without-RLC-2.jpg

Last edited:
I'm still considering a cabinet for this combo. Wonder how B102 would sound with a round piezo -? big hole in the response ? there ought to be a mate for KSN1005 to "something"

random old KSN1005 response with SONCE's high pass filter scheme (also a KSN1016a)- the mic had objects close and tweeter just sitting on top of a speaker cabinet so the graph should look smoother under proper circumstances
Jn7FIKn.gif

SONCE's Filter scheme - i used a cheap Dayton 20ga 0.5mH coil, two 3.3R in series, 27R and 33R
XEHaD9Z.jpg

Last edited:
"MTTM" = B102 CAT378 CAT378 B102 ? upper dynamics should improve - money = "+3dB" :rolleyes:

- wonder if an inexpensive 3-way could compete? - probably have to give up the first order

"Selenium" must measure their ST400 with a high pass filter. I'd like to try the PRV DE35 ripoff below
but it might make more sense to spend the xtra 15 bucks for the B&C (?) - still a nice response curve
on the PRV. Seems I saw something regarding a DE35 in Klipsch application not sounding as good as a K77/T35
- could be the case.

I have Slenium's ST324 and ST320 = very nice sound in their range.

https://i.imgur.com/h2xc6Fe.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/L6mtlXv.jpg

Last edited:
Maybe.

I was looking at peerless 6" with copper cap.
2 at 86db would match near the 92db morel.

Drivers with copper cap or sleeve usually have a flat impedance, easier to make a crossover.

I don't know if you could mount two 6's close enough to get an extra +3. I was looking at it again and building any crossover like that from scratch would be a challenge. Not sure how baffle step is done in a series crossover.

I believe this design uses the simple series crossover with the morel. Seems a bit like an orangutan clone.

YouTube

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.