Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

CBT24 line array speakers
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th August 2017, 02:03 AM   #81
Rick Craig is offline Rick Craig  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarvissound View Post
I've not heard the JBL Eon, but I am well versed in the Bose and have owned the K-Array($$$$$) KR systems. They are small and portable, but ignore the elephant in the room, just like all of these systems: **low frequency and mid-bass pattern control**. All I want is a speaker that illuminates a room roughly similar to how a real instrument does. In theatrical sound that is the goal.

Despite Keele's, and other's, claims of broadband pattern control, none of them actually achieve any semblance of pattern control in the lower octaves, vertical or horizontal. In the horizontal, 180 degrees from 600hz up and 360 degrees 600hz down is NOT constant directivity in my book, while the upper octaves are 120 degrees or less. Can you imagine what a sonogram for those looks like? Klingon "Bird of Prey" comes to mind.

Last time I checked there are five octaves between 20hz and 640 hz. That is half of the audible spectrum.

Obviously those of us in PA/Theatrical audio benefit from mid-bass pattern control. Could it be that the holy grail of home audio is an Econowave design with a dipole bass section??? For theatre sound that seems to be the case.

Brett
Yes, the CBT does have horizontal pattern control. Just not the way that it happens with a conventional design.
Old 24th August 2017, 08:39 PM   #82
Andersonix is offline Andersonix  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omholt View Post
Be aware that the measurements in that review are flawed. They didn't measure correctly.

There were also several wrong facts in the review and they guy who listened didn't even use measurements with integrating a subwoofer. It confirmed all my negative bias towards hifi reviewers.

Anyway, here are proper measurements of the CBT24. Both raw without EQ and one with EQ. Take notice that the resolution of the Y axis is high with 3 dB increments. Measurements were conducted over a reflective floor in a normal room, meaning room modes are included.

Click the image to open in full size.

Pink is with EQ:
Click the image to open in full size.
That Dayton ND64-16 driver is all cone breakup past 6kHz. (Or is it merely internal cavity resonances?) And then it's EQ'd to BOOST the top end? That sure smells like a recipe for sizzling highs to me, or is that what they call "character"?
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2017-08-24 at 13.34.28 .png (203.4 KB, 56 views)

CBT24 line array speakersHide this!Advertise here!