Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

CBT24 line array speakers
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st August 2017, 06:45 AM   #11
Patrick Bateman is offline Patrick Bateman  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayce996 View Post
yes, i saw that too, and for this reason and the fact that i've had the chance to hear these speakers once, i'm quite confident with his work and build ;-) but would like to see if i afford such results with my config & my needs (Hifi + HC)
It will work fine.

Fancy cables and expensive amplifiers are pointless, the loudspeaker is the weakest link. (now let me put on my fire suit...)

P.S. I've heard the CBT24 and I posted the thread that wesayso referenced. So I'm not being a COMPLETE troll, just a small time troll
Old 2nd August 2017, 05:22 AM   #12
Rick Craig is offline Rick Craig  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hello guys,
i've heard recently a duo of Prestige CBT24 Line Array speakers with dual Dayton audio Ultimax Sub woofers 18", a very impressive combination but the configuration was a very very high end build with KRELL & MBL amplifiers, Rosita DAC, Tube Pre-Amps, etc ...
I would like to do something more affordable but also oriented as well to Home Cinema needs.
Here are the points where i'm not really clear and would like to get your inputs:
- anyone has had good experience with line array speakers in home theater configuration? if yes:
- my system will be driven by an EMOTIVA XMC-1 pre-amp
- main speakers would be the CBT24
- Sealed Subs would be one size smaller: Dayton Audio Ultimax on 15"
I'm now looking for help on these points:
- Do i need a DSP per channel or the XMC-1 with its dirac LIVE would be enough?
- which Class D power amps with (or without) DSP would be good to drive both sub & line array speaker in each side? ideally one Amp to drive both Full range & sub?
- which would be the best central & rear speakers DIY speakers to accompany these main speakers? smaller vers of line array speakers?
- which power amplifier would be good for these 3 other speakers?

Thanks!
Prestige?
Old 2nd August 2017, 06:52 AM   #13
heinebodekaer is offline heinebodekaer
diyAudio Member

CBT24 reviewed in the latest issue if Sound & Vision.
https://www.magzter.com/US/TEN-:-The...ainment/234365
Old 2nd August 2017, 08:41 AM   #14
jayce996 is offline jayce996
diyAudio Member

@Kraig, my bad it's Epique and not Prestige
Old 2nd August 2017, 02:10 PM   #15
Omholt is offline Omholt  Norway
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinebodekaer View Post
CBT24 reviewed in the latest issue if Sound & Vision.
https://www.magzter.com/US/TEN-:-The...ainment/234365
Be aware that the measurements in that review are flawed. They didn't measure correctly.

There were also several wrong facts in the review and they guy who listened didn't even use measurements with integrating a subwoofer. It confirmed all my negative bias towards hifi reviewers.

Anyway, here are proper measurements of the CBT24. Both raw without EQ and one with EQ. Take notice that the resolution of the Y axis is high with 3 dB increments. Measurements were conducted over a reflective floor in a normal room, meaning room modes are included.

CBT24 line array speakers-cbt24-eq-jpg

Pink is with EQ:
CBT24 line array speakers-cbt24-eq-jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CBT24 without EQ.jpg (613.3 KB, 284 views)
File Type: jpg CBT24 with EQ.jpg (215.1 KB, 538 views)
Old 5th August 2017, 01:42 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
@Kraig, my bad it's Epique and not Prestige
Ok - that's what I thought. Dirac should be capable of providing the equalization that you'll need for the CBT-24. If you bi-amp there are many amps that will work fine depending on your budget. The MiniDSP plate amps are a good option.

As far as a center and surrounds that depends on the coverage you need and how much output is desired. Smaller arrays are possible but with a 2.5" driver they become very limited. If you room allows a horizontal CBT array works great as a center channel. I prefer 2-way CBT designs but your budget might not allow that. A conventional center channel with output capability comparable to your arrays is probably more practical. The same is true for the surrounds.
Old 5th August 2017, 02:39 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omholt View Post
Be aware that the measurements in that review are flawed. They didn't measure correctly.

There were also several wrong facts in the review and they guy who listened didn't even use measurements with integrating a subwoofer. It confirmed all my negative bias towards hifi reviewers.

Anyway, here are proper measurements of the CBT24. Both raw without EQ and one with EQ. Take notice that the resolution of the Y axis is high with 3 dB increments. Measurements were conducted over a reflective floor in a normal room, meaning room modes are included.

Click the image to open in full size.

Pink is with EQ:
Click the image to open in full size.
Bjorn,

Don Keele sent me a copy of the review. Before you jump on the reviewer (which overall was favorable towards the design) you may want to reconsider a few things.

It's possible the MiniDSP settings were not correct as supplied to the reviewer (different measured transfer function). These are probably the easiest speaker of any to measure. If the transfer function is wrong then that may be the major factor. There could also be QC problems, such as wrong wiring / shading, out of spec drivers, etc. (hopefully not).

Whether it's a hard surface or carpeted the response curves won't vary that much. If they did, then they would be supplying different presets for the type of room being used.

A horizontal off-axis curve would've been nice and more informative.
Old 5th August 2017, 09:07 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

so this means that these speakers are worth trying them anyway?
Old 5th August 2017, 09:45 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
so this means that these speakers are worth trying them anyway?
It depends on what your system goals are.
Old 5th August 2017, 10:05 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

goal is to have excellent sound quality for Hifi with all in numeric and immersive sound for HC :-)

CBT24 line array speakersHide this!Advertise here!