The best BASS HORN Design .

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
1hz. horn... HAHAHA

I sugguest that you search the audioasylum for information regarding horns. They has been alot of discuss for as long as I can remember on these babies. If you are really serious about a nice bass horn you should contact the man. Mr. Bruce Edgar. Search the web for information on him. I have dealt with him in the pass and he knows and sell everything you could need. I myself am rockin Edgar horns. But the 1hz bass horn is not possible.

>But the 1hz bass horn is not possible.
====
Clearly, you don't have a clue. It would be very large/expensive, and IMO a waste of time/$$/material, but given enough of each, a fraction of a Hz is doable. The largest I've seen in the flesh is (was?) a 7Hz 500lb bomb explosion simulator and the size of a railroad car.

Bill Geiger posted an even larger/lower one for sale several years ago on the HE forum that was used for testing supersonic plane concepts IIRC, but the link is long dead so no longer have it.

GM

The best bass horn is (drum roll)

The one you design, fold and build yourself.

And please stay away from most corners of AA about horns. Check out Cornu.de, read up the whole development of the LAB, select your operating parameters such as required, 'tis all about what you want out of a bass horn. Just select your driver based on the ML predictions and model away.

of course the below is for listening - not for sound reinforcement (then spl takes priority and freq. response doesn't need to extend much more than 35 Hz if that).

There isn't a single sub bass horn out their worth #@%# - you really need to go to about 18 Hz with room gain. The reason why is that there is information at these freq.s that are low in level but that essentially define the boundries of the acoustic space (or digital space) of the recording. Futhermore you need to have very low levels of distortion - which bass horns can help out a LOT with, BUT you still need a driver that is low in distortion even below fs (beyma makes quite a few but their levels are typically low in the bass).

The smaller the driver the smaller the horn. Exponential is the most appropriate configuration because mouth size is smaller (which is critical to getting an acceptable horn size). Of course Exponetial horns also have the greatest length. For a driver with a reasonable price and size with an elevated response in the bass. try looking at the fostex fx200 - then model it in Hornresponse.

The real problem with bass horns (other than size), is the time delay. If your placing them close to your "monitors" then you need to delay your monitors quite a bit, and most people don't want to delay their monitors.

Hi all

ScottG said:
The smaller the driver the smaller the horn.

The smaller the driver the LONGER the horn.
The mouth of the horn still needs to be of the apropiate size,
pretty big for a proper basshorn.
I do agree with you , though,
smaller driver and longer horn may well be the way to go.

The real problem with bass horns (other than size), is the time delay

If you go active , a digital crossover will take care of that.

cheers ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.