B&W matrix 1 series2 crossover

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi
Can any tell me.
I want to separate the top and mid/woofer.
But it plays on both tweeter and woofer, with only one singel wire + and -
I can see a connection with two loop red wire, is this the reason.
Any thoughts ?

Attachments

• IMG_20170720_124312.jpg
    IMG_20170720_124312.jpg
    836 KB · Views: 166
A two way. I don't think you can biwire this one without messing up the protection circuitry.

B&W Group North America Service & Support - Service Manuals

Regular sort of filter, but protection on bass and tweeter relies on a common ground. Biwiring is all a bit overrated IMO. It was mainly convenient to mount a crossover on the bigger plastic plate of a biwired socket. Whether it improved the sound is debatable. Good solid speaker cable works well enough.

Attachments

• B&W matrix 1 series 2.PNG
    B&W matrix 1 series 2.PNG
    108.6 KB · Views: 176
I just read the manual. B&W say you can remove those red shorting links for bi-connection or biwiring.

I'm not sure if that is just generic advice, or if they have tried it. I still see certain fault conditions that could cause protection circuit problems with biwiring.

The reason I read the manual, is that with the shorting links in place, there is a serious risk of shorting out your amplifier if you added biwiring cables incorrectly.

Not a great design, IMO. :eek:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.