What would You choose? (HT driver selection)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yes, and You can't just walk in and buy, You have to come, make an order and pay, and then come pick up when they feel Your turn has come. Specially if You try by email or phone, at least in my town, three shops and I am trying to get an offer for mdf for seven (7) days now. If You need more then half board, You need to buy whole, and if You need a bit more then one, then You need to buy two. Sometimes they are willing to sell by half. Lojzek is right about the price for OSB, around 6 usd per m2, mdf 1" about 11 usd, cabinet grade ply about 30 usd, without cutting. And that is with montly wage being about 700 usd for a normal working guy.
Another thing, why I accumulated drivers, is that there's no drivers here. There was Monacor few years ago, limited choice at premium prices, and nowdays only visaton, again at premium price and most of the product not really in stock. No Parts express here. No store to buy crossover parts.

So really, tough luck for one looking for a bit of diy.

Lojzek, thanks for the suggestion, but this is the farthest I have jet seen to the all of the suggestions, and I kind of lean the Chris's suggestion, and will probably order spare baffle material so I could be able to test Vifa alone and in mid / tweeter combo.

Jimbro, thanks for Your suggestion, but I will most probably skip this step and just order two or three pieces of front baffle, and experiment with that. Room is almost finished and I cannot wait to put some speakers in. ;)

If anybody has any Vifa cabinet suggestion based on experience, please chime in, in the meantime I will be digging trough Xrx971 posts as he seems to did some real digging with such drivers...

Thanks!

There is lots of furniture making companies (craftsmen) that take precedence in getting their inquiry answered than an average "poor" DIYer. People are basically swamped with all kinds of work and they don't have the time to spare and when you become desperate enough, you will simply make an order, make sure you have made the cutting plan on your computer roughly exact to know what kind of expense you can hope for and you're in business. That's what I do.

The prices of Visaton XO parts are a little higher than Visaton Germany online but these are available. Inductors have become pricier with years, absolutely true, but this is just the kind of stuff you want to make yourself. I have solved all the inductor purchasing issues by acquiring magnet wire in a sufficient quantity and made my work easier by modifiying a salami cutting machine into a coil winder.

The financial situation is not brilliant in many countries, and our homeland is not an exception but that only puts us in a position to finally start using our brains in such a manner that we become increasingly innovative in discovering alternate solutions to the technical issues.

Good luck with your HT work.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.