Best spikes position under loudspeaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi all:),
i have a doubt about the best position of spikes.
please see the image and suggest me the best solution for you and if possible with a little explanation.

thanks in advance

Attachments

• Immagine.png
    Immagine.png
    19.2 KB · Views: 535
Perhaps you should enclose your speakers in pyramids?

Joking about expensive gimmicks aside, I'd like to comment more positively on speakers. I used to put heavy cinderblocks on my subs to help anchor them. Not able to do measurements at the time but maybe somebody could now.

Probably good idea to rigidify but you'd need three sharp spikes sticking into your floor and a cinderblock to do much good, as previous posters said. Any speaker power that ends up shaking the box has to be in weird ways and therefore has to be all distortion.

Not likely that 4 spikes would be co-planar or that a flat box would be either. So good to use some kind of firm but rubberiferous gasket sheeting to accommodate irregularities in seating the speaker on the floor.... assuming that's the right height.

What does make a lot of difference is moving speakers around - even just a foot - because that can cause big changes in performance. But you can't do that kind of improvement without REW to measure incremental changes.

B.

Last edited:
+2 to Pallas and bifor , and as I think Ben is saying, securely anchoring / "coupling" with spikes through carpet into either wooden or concrete sub-floor or directly to the floor itself is not as easy as you might like hope.

It's been my experience that mass loading the bottom of the enclosure with either sand / birdshot pellets, or quartz slab glued with silicone, and more importantly finding the right location will yield more benefits than spikes. And yes, it's way too easy to damage very expensive carpet or wooden flooring with spikes.

But, if you really want to try them, I'd go with #1

Not without a lot of search, it came out of a magazine article on visiting the Triangle factory… and if you think back, i got you to rotate the metal bases you made for the Elipses from #1 to #2 so the idea has crossed by you :)

dave

Yes, that certainly suited the aesthetics of the wide curved baffle, and as you alluded earlier the base plates were actually extended to form a wide triangular footprint

Hard to discern in the photos, but the two part "spikes" from Parts Express have a removable threaded tip, which allows use of Feltac self adhesive felt glides.

Attachments

• ELLIPSA-005.JPG
    ELLIPSA-005.JPG
    325.6 KB · Views: 252
  • ELLIPSA-004.JPG
    ELLIPSA-004.JPG
    398.2 KB · Views: 261
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.