Speaker filters Speaker filters - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Speaker filters
Speaker filters
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th July 2017, 08:33 AM   #1
overshoot is offline overshoot
diyAudio Member

Default Speaker filters

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum and a bit of a newbie in this field so forgive me in advance.

My bro bought a Marshall Stanmore speaker. Great speaker but died within 2 years. A shame for such an expensive speaker.
I've tried to fix it but replacing the amp chip that fried and one diode which died.
It did work for a while and ultimately died again a day later... :-(

Since there are no schematic for this amp I ended up buying a cheap Nobsound amp from Ebay. The MS-10DMK II.
What I want to achieve now is to re-use the speakers from the Marshall with the amp.
On the amp, I have 2 speakers output. On the Marshall I have 2 tweaters and a Woofer. They all have a 4Ohms impedance. So I did connect the 2 tweaters and the the woofer on 1 channel (let's assume the left one)

Since I do not want to ruin my stereo system and filter the high and bass frequencies, can you help creating a simple filter for such setup?

Thank you in advance.
Old 16th July 2017, 04:54 PM   #2
eriksquires is offline eriksquires  United States
diyAudio Member

The speaker looks like it is a sub + 2 mid/tweeters

What you really need is something like this:

Dayton Audio MCA2250E 2.1 Channel Class D Plate Amplifier

This has 3 channels. One for the sub, and 1 for each mid/tweeter. If you look hard enough maybe you can even find a 2.1 amp with BT built in.

Measure your drivers DC impedance though, one may have shorted, which then fried the amp.

Alternatively, if you only wish to use 2 amp channels, leave the sub alone, and hook up only the full range units.

Best,

E

Last edited by eriksquires; 16th July 2017 at 04:58 PM.
Old 17th July 2017, 06:04 AM   #3
overshoot is offline overshoot
diyAudio Member

Hi Erik,

Thanks for answering.
My main issue is that I have no schematic for this amp and it seems they aren't any. So unless this circuit is easy to spot on a board, I am blind here...
Any recommendations please on what to look for?

Regarding the amp you did recommend... I will keep it in mind if that new one fries but since I just bought that (crappy?) Nobsound because of the tubes (yeah I know, stupid), I need to stick to it.

So what you are saying is that I need a 3 channel output amp or I will not be able to benefit from the Woofer?
For now, I have simply plugged the woofer on the left output, so I am missing the low frequencies on the right channel (obviously).

I guess if I plug the woofer on both, then I will lose the stereo and this will merge all the signals onto each channel + I may destroy the amp in a long term. Am I right?

Thanks for your answers.
Old 17th July 2017, 08:06 AM   #4
Sonce is offline Sonce  Macedonia
diyAudio Member

Do not connect the woofer on both amp outputs!
The first solution: mail to support@marshallheadphones.com
The second solution (no stereo!): get inside the MS-10DMK II and at the input of the power amplifiers cut the PCB trace and make Y three-resistors stereo-to-mono conversion and feed both power amplifiers with summed mono signal. Connect two tweeters in series, put one 3.3 microfarads (or so) capacitor in series with them and connect it to one of the amp channel output. Connect the woofer to the other amp channel output via 0.68 mH inductor (or so).

Speaker filtersHide this!Advertise here!