Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Meet Cleopatra
Meet Cleopatra
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th October 2017, 05:49 AM   #11
andy2 is offline andy2  United States
diyAudio Member

I've updated my xover and I am confident this should be it. I added two additional notch filters - one for the tweeter to tame the sibilance around 4 - 8khz region, one for the another peak at 3khz for the woofer. I also changes the attenuation on the tweeter a bit.
Overall the sound is more balance and I feel a lot more comfortable with it.
I just finished the veneer with figure maple and waiting to apply shellac. I show a bit of an example of how the veneer would look after shellac with the back panel.
As for the Satori, I don't think it's night and day vs. the Seas paper cone. It has that paper sound but it provides a bit more detail, more micro dynamic, a bit more sophisticated, a bit more bass, basically it sounds like the Seas paper cone but just a little better in almost every way. I used to have the Seas magnesium and that is a night and day vs. Seas paper cone but it has break up so 1st order probably won't work.
I could make the cabinet a little bit larger to give better bass transient. If I play very loud, the bass feels a bit congested. But I can't help but thinking it looks just right - not too big not too small. It has the right width, height, and depth. It is very easy on the eyes. Currently the dimension is 190mm X 300mm X 310mm and overall volumn is about 10.5liters.
The reason I went on out of my way to use 1s order because I do feel it is very musical. I built a pair of Troels Jenzen and those are very well designed but I couldn't help but thinking they sound a bit dry and sterile vs. my 1st. I also reworked Troel PMS (Poor man stradivari) to 1st order and I couldn't believe how much more musical and 3 dimensional the sound compared to his original xover. I guess people have their own personal preferences, but I am a believer of 1st order filters.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0626.jpg (884.2 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0628.jpg (813.5 KB, 112 views)
File Type: png xover2.png (128.2 KB, 108 views)

Last edited by andy2; 8th October 2017 at 06:17 AM.
Old 8th October 2017, 05:52 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriksquires View Post
Hi Andy,

Maybe I missed it, but did you upload your XSim file? I'd like to take a look at how your schematic works.

Best,

E
Sorry for the delay but I didn't check my post for awhile, but I attached the zip file of the simulation and the tweeter and woofer files.
Attached Files
File Type: zip time_aligned_final.zip (71.2 KB, 8 views)
Old 8th October 2017, 06:47 AM   #13
bwaslo is offline bwaslo  United States
diyAudio Member

Hey, it even uses an All-Pass filter! Don't see that very often in diy designs. Did you use a Circuit Block for designing and adjusting that or did you just do it by putting the parts down directly?
Old 8th October 2017, 06:48 AM   #14
Bill poster is offline Bill poster  Thailand
diyAudio Member

How does the satori compare to seas mag?
Old 8th October 2017, 06:59 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaslo View Post
Hey, it even uses an All-Pass filter! Don't see that very often in diy designs. Did you use a Circuit Block for designing and adjusting that or did you just do it by putting the parts down directly?
I didn't use a "Circuit Block", but I used the basic topology then adjusted the component values until I got the phase about right. 1st order is a little tricky. If I delay the tweeter is sort of a fine act - delay too much or too little will affect either the low freq. or higher freq. response.
Old 8th October 2017, 07:06 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill poster View Post
How does the satori compare to seas mag?
The Seas mag. sounds quite different. If I can recall correctly, the mag. has more weight and detail on the lower register and there is a feeling of "density" to the sound especially the lower frequency - for example the male voice - that is very distinct that I don't find it in the Satori or Seas paper cone. I have the Seas mag. 7in. driver and I thought subjectively it might have a little more bass weight than the Seas 8in. paper.
The Satori is not that different than the Seas paper cone, just a little better in almost every way. As I said, it's not day and night. Fundamentally it has the same sound as paper, but in every respect it's better.
Old 4th November 2017, 12:34 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

This is probably my final update. A bit of a role reversal. The lift around 2-3k actually caused by the tweeter and the 4-8k caused by the woofer so the notch filters got switched. I also modify the delay circuit to attenuate the low end of the tweeter.
She's just absolutely beautiful to look at.
Attached Images
File Type: png cleot.png (153.1 KB, 37 views)

Meet CleopatraHide this!Advertise here!