Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Designing my own soundbar
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th July 2017, 11:42 PM   #1
Jalatho is offline Jalatho  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Default Designing my own soundbar

Hi,

I am planning on making myself a soundbar for my room at university. It would have a number of different inputs I can choose from. I was reading up on designs with crossovers but was wondering if they would make a big difference compared to full range speakers for my application. I am currently looking at the Pioneer TS-G1031i. If I was going with a crossover design, I would buy 2 of these along with a pair of tweeters. If I was just going to use them as full range speakers however, I would assume the only difference between 2 on each channel and 1 is the volume capabilities?

So bassicly, I am wondering if it would make a big difference in sound quality if I used a crossover design.

I am pretty new to making DIY audio products, but I have a decent understanding of the electronics and physics behind them.

Just looking for some advice, might add process updates later.

Thanks!
Old 16th July 2017, 12:06 AM   #2
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Full ranges generally have some shortcomings, Good ones thou exhibit some characteristics hard to match with a system having an XO and would be fine for a boombox. You might want to look to designs aimed at the home market, they atr likely to be better and cost less (and come with T/S parameters so you can design a box without having to measure the driver)

dave
Old 16th July 2017, 02:31 AM   #3
John Sheerin is offline John Sheerin  United States
diyAudio Member

If you use two drivers on each channel, you'll get interaction between them. At low frequencies their radiation will combine and you will get more output. At mid frequencies, you will narrow the polar response of the system in one plane due to the larger apparent source size. At high frequencies you will get interference between the drivers causing the polar pattern to become more chaotic. This would be on top of whatever the drivers do on their own (the polar pattern of a full range at high frequencies won't be great to start with).

Basically if you use a crossover, you will have the possibility of getting better sound but it will be more complicated. If you use a fullrange driver it will be simpler but might not sound as good unless you buy very nice (expensive) drivers. I'd argue the multiway system will always have the capability to be better if well designed, but others would disagree.
Old 16th July 2017, 03:14 AM   #4
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
but might not sound as good unless you buy very nice (expensive) drivers
Expensive is relative. There are some really good FRs for $100-300 pr and decent ones for half that.

dave
Old 16th July 2017, 03:14 AM   #5
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
but might not sound as good unless you buy very nice (expensive) drivers
Expensive is relative. There are some really good FRs for $100-300 pr and decent ones for half that.

dave
Old 16th July 2017, 04:15 AM   #6
Bob Richards is offline Bob Richards  United States
diyAudio Member

It's generally not cost effective to build your own speakers anymore, but I do it cuz it's fun, and because I'm picky. Not having seen the frequency response graph for the Pioneer speaker, I can't give an opinion, but the rather high wattage rating makes be very suspicious that it could be pretty bad. The high efficiency rating could be a nice thing if it doesn't bring up the noise floor of the poweramps too much.

If I was going to use those in a sound bar, I'd probably add equivalent size passive radiators to each channels enclosure chamber. The PR's will give you more bass in a small cabinet, and if the active drivers are relatively flat to 15kHZ and low distortion, you can avoid the necessity of crossover networks, which can be difficult and time consuming for most people to get relatively accurate, unless you have good test equipment and really know what you're doing.
Old 16th July 2017, 04:21 AM   #7
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
It's generally not cost effective to build your own speakers anymore...
Speak for yourself. I donít beleive this to be true.

dave
Old 17th July 2017, 01:42 AM   #8
Jalatho is offline Jalatho  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the feedback.

I decided to go the crossover route. I've been looking for some speakers and amplifiers, and this is what I came up with:

Amp: Mini Car Motorcycle Hi-Fi Stereo Audio Amplifier w/ Super Bass Out / Lightweight and Matt Aluminum Casing with Overheating, Overload and Short Circuit Protection-Perfect for Handling Your Audio Demands in Style: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Speakers : 4 of these: 2pcs Original value 2.5-inch full-range speakers replace bose Jbl Harman | eBay

2 tweeters: 2pcs 2"inch 6Ohm 6Ω 30W Dome Silk Film tweeter Speaker hifi treble With heatsink

Crossovers: 2Pcs 2-Way Crossover Filters Frequency Distributor: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Im not really sure what to look for with these components, so I might need to adjust them. I also want to add an optional subwoofer as a separate box. So to connect this sub to the circuit, I would just add another crossover for low frequencies on one of the channels?
Old 17th July 2017, 04:07 AM   #9
Tweet is offline Tweet  Australia
diyAudio Member

Just a passing thought, the Vifa TC9FD18-08 full range driver might be worth consideration along with the Peerless OX20SC00-04 Tweeter. Both have low odd order harmonic distortion when crossed over around 3Kc/s at normal listening levels. Any small driver will also need some bass reinforcement from a larger bass driver to meet its low frequency needs, in this case if crossed over at 300 c/s to the Vifa TC9FD18 it should work well in such a system.
Of course this is a little more than the usual soundbar concept that you were aiming at.

C.M
Old 17th July 2017, 08:50 AM   #10
4real is offline 4real  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
Speak for yourself. I donít beleive this to be true.
In general, I guess this is true. But also consider that the actual cost is not only the components, but also the extra stuff you'll need, like measurement equipment, sample crossover components, and if not a available yet even the tools for making cabinets.

Besides, most of us do this because it's a hobby, and as we all know, hobbies generally cost money. So in the end: who cares.

I do think however that a soundbar is a hard one to make on the cheap. Most commercial design employ some sort of active correction to get the most out of suck small crappy enclosures. And those commercial guys can just make that kind of stuff for very few bucks. Of course quality of the electronics and drivers is often sub-par, but for most people that does not matter. I think there is where DIY can shine. You can use good quality drivers for relatively little money. If you can find a DSP system and amps on the cheap I'd go with that. The passive crossover route is also possible of course, but will be less flexible.

I would not recommend buying a ready made crossover. They rarely match the woofer and tweeter responses. The crossover you choose does not even specify an impedance, so you basically have no clue what it will do.

Designing my own soundbarHide this!Advertise here!