Curved speaker wall geometry

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys,
i received way too much mdf, so new speakers will be born. This time i will try something dfferent. Multilayer curved speakers. Not very efficient, if you see how much wood gets destroyed, but i dont know where to store it at the moment, so Thats not a problem.
I have seen this wall geometry somewhere and will try it myself, but my question now is :
Should i use this geometry also in the bass reflex tube or should it be smooth and round ? Did someone already try this kind of bass tube ?
It will be a 46 layer thing when ready :).

Attachments

• IMG_1583.JPG
    IMG_1583.JPG
    637.1 KB · Views: 257
  • IMG_1584.JPG
    IMG_1584.JPG
    668.3 KB · Views: 237
Thanks for your answers.
Ive seen this kind of design here : Sammy
My goal was just to create curved speakers, but after seeing the pbn design, i thought about giving it a try.
The BR tube thought was because i hear the air move throught the tube in my old speakers. I thought, perhaps with the "egg" pattern there will be less port noise.

The reason you here port noise, is because the port is to small a diameter for the volume of air. My guess is you don't hear the air at lower SPL.

Yes, its the diameter, but its impossible to use a greater diameter, without running into resonance problems. If i increase the diameter, the port gets way too long.
I hoped to disturb the aitflow with the egg pattern and perhaps the noise would be less then. If i loose low extension, its not worth, thn i will make the br tube smooth.

Put the port in the rear of the cabinet

I already tried this and last time it did not help. Either i did something wrong or it does not really help to eliminate the air noise.
I have to say, that putting the br tube to the back does not help to increase spl, because there is no wall behind it. My speakers stand in the middle of the room. No gain because of walls or corners :(

For the port noise, perhaps you need to explore the passive radiator options.
Regarding the layered mdf enclosure construction, it looks like a brute force approach to minimize resonances by adding mass but in most cases a constrained layer panel and/or heavy bracing gives equivalent results with less weight. And at 310lb (the example linked to) may look impressive on paper, until you need to lift and move it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.