Baffle step and sensitivity question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am interested on doing a 2 way system with top driver w8-1772 in a 1.5 cu ft sealed enclosure and the Beyma 10g40 in a ported enclosure.

enclosure width is not determined yet. maybe 12-14 in.

Based on the sensitivities of each w8-1772 and the 10g40 about 95db would this work?

No filter on the w8-1772 and a 2nd order on the 10g40.

Should i also throw the 10g40 on the rear of the enclosure?

I downloaded Edge and played around with that... but i am looking to use the 10g40 as compensation.

Thanks for any help!

w8-1772 in a 1.5 cu ft sealed enclosure [...]
enclosure width is not determined yet. maybe 12-14 in.
Have you already seen this?
Tang Band W8-1772 Fullrange Loudspeaker Measurements Data and Information Full Range

It looks good / flat for a speaker of this type. I like the 30 degree curves.

Based on the sensitivities of each w8-1772 and the 10g40 about 95db would this work?
Rule of thumb = a woofer that's +3dB relative to the top driver. I'd opt for a little more. It might depend on personal taste and how far off axis you listen.

Maybe consider this cheap Eminence 15" - see this model of the deltalite II (with 2nd order crossover), which looks about right for your project.

Greencones

Should i also throw the 10g40 on the rear of the enclosure?
No. Based on Rutcho's sealed box graph for the w8-1772, you'll have to run the helper woofer fairly high.

I downloaded Edge and played around with that... but i am looking to use the 10g40 as compensation.
My suggestion is to use Edge and also a bit of trial and error with the baffle size + shape. e.g. make a (small) test box for the w8-1772 and experiment by tacking on wings made from scrap wood or cardboard. You should be able to find a layout that flattens out the 800Hz bump by about 3dB.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.