Measurement Microphones polarity !

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm in the process of designing & building a MicPre for testing various sound equipment etc. The mic capsule is a very good & flat response electret type, that i managed to obtain.

It occured to me that, the way they are usually internally connected, as shown, is a two wire one. In which case, i'm not 100% sure if the output is therefore Inverted. Is this correct ? If so i'll make the Preamp inverted to compensate. If it is so, then a Lot of electret measurement microphones sold, are in need of taking this into account !

Attachments

• ElecMic-.png
    ElecMic-.png
    7 KB · Views: 228
How? So long as all the drivers are in phase........

Phase is a relative term, polarity is absolute.

Example in use, integration and tuning of an electronic crossover multi amp multi way loudspeaker system.

My first test is an impulse test of each amp channel and driver. This tells me the channel is at least operational and the output polarity of the driver and more.

I know not everyone cares about polarity but I do. Leaving the which side of the drum the mic was on for others to argue, if I have a recording of an explosion like fireworks, I want a unified positive pressure initial wave front from my speaker system. Simple as that.

Barry.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Dayton UMM-6 is inverted.
MiniDSP UMIK-1 is not.

It all shows up easily the moment you do a sweep in REW and look at sign of impulse function. In which case, click the "invert mic" radio button.

Assuming you have a known positive polarity amp and test your full range speaker with a 1.5v battery to make sure cone moves out when +be applied to red lead. I say full range because a multiway with xo - all bets are off unless you know the design well.

Originally Posted by Sonce

Measurement mics usually invert polarity.

Yes, that's what i thought, & the reason for my thread, so people can now be aware, if they weren't before.

CLIO mic certainly do.

Good to know for people. I download all the PDF's i could find on their www, but couldn't see any mention of this. Can you provide a link please ?

Originally Posted by 1audiohack

Loudspeaker polarity testing would be the big one.

Yes for one reason.

And also some people might be alarmed to discover that drivers/tweeters etc are sometimes produced with their magnets reversed ! It's happened to me & others i know & have heard of. Which means they are the opposite polarity expected. = unless you test them first, the total acoustic output will be incorrect.

Originally Posted by Pano

I use a sawtooth wave to test my mics because it's easy to see the shape. Also impulse response using a driver of known and verified polarity.

Good advice

Originally Posted xrk971

Dayton UMM-6 is inverted. MiniDSP UMIK-1 is not.

Good to know for people.

So far, we already have several Confirmed reports of reversed polerity.

Phase is a relative term, polarity is absolute.

Example in use, integration and tuning of an electronic crossover multi amp multi way loudspeaker system.

My first test is an impulse test of each amp channel and driver. This tells me the channel is at least operational and the output polarity of the driver and more.

I know not everyone cares about polarity but I do. Leaving the which side of the drum the mic was on for others to argue, if I have a recording of an explosion like fireworks, I want a unified positive pressure initial wave front from my speaker system. Simple as that.

Barry.
I take your point. I thought too late after my post that I should have put 180 degrees out of phase, which was the point I meant to make.

Anyway, I believe you are right about the wave front of an explosion portrayal, however I still don't see how the polarity of a measurement mic fits in here?

@ Sonce

Thanks for the info & confirmation of Reveresed Polarity on the Clio mic. I wonder how many more out there are also !

I don't know about everyone else, but i think starting off knowing that your Measurement Mic, & PreAmp etc, are the correct polarity is Important.

Knowing the polarity of measurement mic might be important under some circumstances, I'd be interested to know what they are. Is it that it's important when doing certain tests using certain software?
Scott,

Without confirming the polarity of the test system, the test system can't be used to determine polarity of the unit under test. It is a simple thing to use a battery and observe the direction of a cone driver, but in the case of a sealed high frequency driver, one can't observe the movement. Each amplifier stage introduces a potential polarity swap, and every pole of a crossover induces a 90 degree phase shift.

In the case of a "Tapped Horn", polarity is a bit counter intuitive- in a "normal" driver positive voltage to the positive terminal will push the cone away from the magnet structure, "forward". In the TH the driver is generally mounted with the magnet outward "forward" , my initial thought was to reverse polarity on the driver, wrong choice- most of the output exits through the "Horn".

In my initial TH testing, the polarity vs phase issue was further compounded by a plate amplifier which had a swapped polarity between the exterior panel Speakon connector and the rear snap connector to pigtail, an ambiguously labeled polarity switch, and a test microphone that was wired counter to the usual leading portion of the wave front at the front of the microphone resulting in a positive voltage on pin 2 and negative voltage on pin 3.

The serial combinations resulted in hours of fun determining the problems- I now have a pin 2/3 swap polarity reverse cord attached to the RTA 420 microphone, as the circuit board XLR connection would make an internal "correction" near impossible.

The suggestion of comparing the test mic to a dynamic mic is made a bit more difficult in that although the usual leading portion of the wave front at the front of the microphone should result in a positive voltage on pin 2 and negative voltage on pin 3, there are many exceptions, and a dynamic mic output lags in phase response compared to a condenser or back electret mic.

Cheers,
Art

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.