3d Printed acoustic lens, XT25, Thingiverse

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
No problem!

The fun part with these lenses is you can do some really bizarre stuff, like mate them to a traditional waveguide. I think you could also feed the lens with dual compression drivers, similar to this JBL setup:

attachment.php

See this D2? And see how sound enters from the left and from the right?
Now rotate that 90 degrees and put a SAW lens at the top and at the bottom.
You'd have one waveguide fed by TWO compression drivers. Should be able to raise your on-axis SPL by about 5-6dB. Or lower the cutoff. Pick one.

Acoustic Lens with 3/4 '' tweeter

Hi 454Casull,

As I did not manage to take new measurements due to very limited time, I add some measurements of the printed acoustic lens using a SB19ST (19mm) tweeter and some information on the construction of the acoustic lens model.

The acoustic lens is based on the information available from the respective patent. See as well the thread by Patrick mentioned above.

3D-constuction:
attachment.php

I did quite some ABEC simulation work during construction of several variants:
attachment.php

Simulation of SPL at 55cm distance by ABEC:
attachment.php

Simulation of horizontal directivity by ABEC:
attachment.php

Situation of horizontal directivity, normalized to 0°:
attachment.php

Measurement of horizontal directivity using SB19ST tweeter (19mm dia), mic distance 55cm:
attachment.php

Comparison of horizontal directivity (SB19ST) normalized to 0°:
attachment.php

Measurement (upper half of image)
ABEC simulation (lower half of image)

Please note that the model simulation in ABEC was slightly different from the final printout - thus the observed differences between simulation and measurement. However, ABEC was still extremely helpful to understand some basic principles of how the acoustic lens worked.

I will probably construct an improved version based on the experiences with this model. More information probably in a German hifi-forum then...

Gaga

PS: For details on construction with ABEC see how-to ABEC thread here.

Attachments

• Acoustic Lens V9c druck fin v3 v4 for ABEC v2 v2 ellypse 2.png
    Acoustic Lens V9c druck fin v3 v4 for ABEC v2 v2 ellypse 2.png
    79.1 KB · Views: 531
  • 2017-07-15 AcouLens ABEC wo sym 1.jpg
    2017-07-15 AcouLens ABEC wo sym 1.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 555
  • 2017-07-15 AcouLens V9c ABEC SPL 1m 1.png
    2017-07-15 AcouLens V9c ABEC SPL 1m 1.png
    12 KB · Views: 579
  • 2017-07-15 AcouLens V9c ABEC Sono horiz 6-36dB 3.png
    2017-07-15 AcouLens V9c ABEC Sono horiz 6-36dB 3.png
    41.1 KB · Views: 513
  • 2017-05-15 ABEC Simu AcouLens SB19 1m Directivity Sono horiz norm0 3-27dB 4.png
    2017-05-15 ABEC Simu AcouLens SB19 1m Directivity Sono horiz norm0 3-27dB 4.png
    44.9 KB · Views: 498
  • 2017-05-15 AcouLens SB19 Mic55cm Directivity Sono horiz 1k-16k 2.png
    2017-05-15 AcouLens SB19 Mic55cm Directivity Sono horiz 1k-16k 2.png
    31.7 KB · Views: 538
  • 2017-05-15 AcouLens SB19 Mic55cm Directivity Sono horiz 1k-16k norm0 vs ABEC Simu 1.png
    2017-05-15 AcouLens SB19 Mic55cm Directivity Sono horiz 1k-16k norm0 vs ABEC Simu 1.png
    92.1 KB · Views: 524
Hi Christoph :)

Very cool simus and mesaurements.

The normalized simus are scaled from +3 to -27dB whereas the measurements are scaled from +0 to -30dB. Did you matched the scales in the comparison graph? For me it seems not, so maybe then it looks even better.

Grüße
Andreas

Hi freddi,

~ OT - are there such things as optimal Karlson front chamber shapes?

Frankly, I do not know. Could be probably simulated using ABEC. Closest things I worked on was the simulation of diffraction slots using Akabak (see here, watch out, German...).

Hi Andreas,

Very cool simus and mesaurements.
Thanks a lot! :)

You are right, I did not correctly align scales of measurements and simulations.

There are more shortcomings with the simulation:
- Have to check distance of simulation vs measurement;
- The printed lens slightly differs from the simulated lens (rounded edges);
- The SB19 was not simulated as a dome, but as a flat disc;
- Have to check the TSP I used to simulate the SB19;

I'll go back to the simulation, check things and re-do the simu...;)

Grüße,
Christoph

Hi,

Just FYI - if someone might be interested: I'm trying to show a step-by-step construction, print-out, measurement of the 'Acoustic Lens' in a German DYI-HiFi-Forum here. I hope it's ok to point to a thread in another forum.

However, please indicate, if you might be interested in a specific piece of information given there, I'd try to translate and present it here then accordingly...

Gaga

I increased the number of segments on the circular paths to 360.

edit, i think when I made the arc segment I didnt change the number of segments. it must be having trouble lining up.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Still showing up as hollow

The Hat was able to be created fine

Last edited:
Hi Megalomaniac,

Just indicate, if you need translations of the ABEC thread. Or may be post the *.step or *.stp file of your lens for download if possible. I could try a simulation as well...

Whatsoever, I'd be interested to learn more about your acoustic lens.

BW,
Christoph

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.