OHM frs-15

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ohm frs-15

What I'm trying to do is get to the drivers. There underneath a cage which is under the square grille cover. I was sent some pics with the divers exposed.
I removed the cage wood screws, thinking the cage would lift off, but I may
have to pry if off. (demolition?)

Joined 2014
Paid Member
The cage is fastened with a thermoplastic glue. As you are in Texas, I'd suggest leaving the 'can' in a hot car for a while, then pry with a small tool using the frame edge as fulcrum pulling against a hole. Work your way around a few times then take it inside when it comes loose(put back on to carry), and try to leave the bottom on for easier handling whilst prying. This is basically what Ohm suggested when I had the can's foam liner crumbling on my Ohm Walshes.
Mine have cloth surrounds, so a thorough cleaning was all they needed-occasional buzz gone!
If you have dust issues as we do, you can get the right foam(about 2mm thick open cell) at your local serious HVAC supplies place- it's used for custom size air filters.
Have fun with these they should have plenty of life left.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Well you are in Texas. There is a good chance that some of the goopy black adhesive has migrated through the grating and really glued the whole thing down. Sooooo....time to put the whole thing in a sunny window(or if you have a halogen worklight...) and warm it up, cabinet and all. Then protect the cabinet edge and pry against the lower holes in the cage(you want to separate it anyway). Be patient, no knocking it about, it will come loose eventually.
This may be a little late, but why do you want to dismantle them in the first place? Problems?

Joined 2014
Paid Member
No such opportunity. The can is countersunk so that the flare is flush with the tiny baffle surface. And the vertical wall is pushed down against the horizontal frame, so no place to put your edge. If Ohm had put a flange on the lip of the cylinder life would be easier.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.