Newbie Building a Lyra

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Its been an interesting few days...

Well, I got the midrange from PE two days ago, attached it and I discovered that ITS NOT THE MOTHERFATHER SPEAKER!!! It must be the XO, which really, really sucks.

I will be dismantling the WHOLE FROGGING THING tomorrow, so I'll let you know the results. I don't know how I can check to see if I have a bad capacitor or not, so if someone can shed light, I'd appreciate it.

Looks good, but they need a coat of paint

Yeah, yeah, yeah... as you can see, I'm still working on the XO here, so I gotta fix the sound before I finish them. I'm thinking just lacquer 'cause I actually like the color and texture of the MDF. I'm probably breaking some rule of DIY aesthetics, but I like 'em that way and its like that and that's the way it is, G.

Would that be the original walnut box with a retractable plastic "handle" with enlarging mirror on one side and circular camel hair brush on the other?

Nope. It would be the cardboard box with the "birchwood" handle with a velvet brush and a hidey hole for the solution.

They don't make 'em like they used ta.

This was just before Ken Kessler started the matchbox trick

What the hell is the matchbox trick? I feel a punchline coming.

dont play the records wet!

I don't (I dry them as thoroughly as I can with the dry side of the brush), but why not? Should I propose a UN resultion to guard against the international community's playing of wet records?

Kofi

What the hell is the matchbox trick? I feel a punchline coming.
Ken Kessler ,imo a bright light in the audio world, critic, columnist and editor for HiFi news and record review, raved in the late 70´s about a new method for stylus cleaning: The Matchbox Trick! What You did was use the abrasive sides of the matchbox to polish the stylus with o so gentle motions from back to front. This works, (a lot better with grade 800 wet sanding paper and a pair of watchmakers glasses), so people bought matches! In Sweden matchboxes didn´t have a uniform abrasive edge, safety first here you know, so people who had newer owned a pack of Camels were suddenly roaming the tobaconists for the right kind of matchboxes. I know there was controversy about wich brand of matches gave the best sound after cleaning. These kinds of things enrichen our lives.

u can damage your records if u play them wet permanantly

Wow-- didn't know that. I'll make sure I dry them thoroughly before I play.

OK-- so I took the day off from work and I kicked *** on the speakers today. It was a very strange solution, but we're up and working with NO DISTORTION. Here's how:

I started the morning by pulling apart the speaker with the midrange buzz. AFTER I got everything dismantled I said, "Kofi, you should-- just for sanity's sake-- make sure you don't have another defective midrange."

So, I pulled out the midrange of the WORKING speaker and plugged in the one from the "faulty" speaker and it BUZZED LIKE HELL!!! SO, must be a problem with this speaker as well. I know that sounds crazy, but there was no other explanation.

I called PE and they graciously agreed to send me another modrange and credit me for the two defective ones when I sent them back. Now, here's the interesting part...

Before I had completely reassembled the "faulty" speaker box, I decided to take the second midrange apart and, lo and behold, the ground wire WAS NOT SOLDERED INTO THE BINDING POST CONNECTION AT ALL!!!

Thinking that this could be the problem, I dropped a little solder in the hole, hooked it up and IT WORKED LIKE A CHAMP!

WOO HOO!!! :spin::spin::spin:

Working speakers, the day off, a fridge full of Schlitz Malt Liquor Low Carb Lite Ice Lager Beer... I think you smell what tha K-Dogg is cookin'... :drink::drink::drink::drink::drink:

Thanks again for all the great advice and support. I simply could not have done this without the support of all of you. I know that sounds like an Academy Award acceptance speech, only I really mean it.

Anybody needs an issue brought before the UN or a scarf, mittens, hat. et. al. from Mrs. Annan, lemme know and consider it done!

Kofi

Schlitz Malt Liquor Low Carb Lite Ice Lager Beer...
Must be pretty large beer cans to print all that on..
Realy good to see You found the problem, satisfaction coming through such an ordeal is imense so cheers!
dont play the records wet!
This is to much! the surgeon general is probing into every inch of our lives, i hereby swear ,the cat be my witness, not to touch either turntable or amplifiers while wet, but i demand my right to listen to singin in the rain while taking a shower!

sorry to bump an old thread, but i just came across this speaker design and have interest in building it. anyone with some experience think it would be a good idea to bump the woofer up to 12" & increase the box size to fit it and lower the Xover frequency slightly? just want to be sure I'll get excellent bass response as I would use these speakers for home theater without a sub as well as music.

link to the speaker design is in the OP's post

sorry to bump an old thread, but i just came across this speaker design and have interest in building it. anyone with some experience think it would be a good idea to bump the woofer up to 12" & increase the box size to fit it and lower the Xover frequency slightly? just want to be sure I'll get excellent bass response as I would use these speakers for home theater without a sub as well as music.

link to the speaker design is in the OP's post

The Dayton 10" was capable of going as high as 700hz within reach of the dome midrange. Most 12" woofers are not designed to be use that far up. If you use a Pro woofer (with a stiffer suspension) it will go high neouhg but it's F3 will be limited (to about 50Hz).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.