Line Array / multiple driver crossover design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Greetings,

I am planning on building a line array using the Parts Express Pioneer 4 inch Full range and Onkyo closeout drivers.

My question is about the xover design.

I will be series/parrallel wiring 16 - 8ohm woofers and 40 - 4ohm tweeters for a final nominal resitance of 8ohm for the woofs and 10ohm for the tweets.

My questions are these:

- Is a zobel network possible/recommended/necessary?
- Do I need to crossover each driver individually, or can they be crossed over as one driver after parallel/series wiring?
- Should I wait until I get the drivers and measure actual resistance before designing the xover?
- Are there any other considerations that I am not mentioning?

Thanks in advance for your responses,

Nelson

:D :D :D

1) IMO not necessary, but possible for the pioneers.

2) they can be crossed over as two drivers.

3) it can be more complicated then resistances.

4) Baffle step compensation for one. Driver response
for two. Effective sensistivities of each array for three.

Without measuring equipment a very difficult project IMO.

:) sreten.

The drivers will be rear mounted to a 3/4 inch baffle, with the edges rounded.

Also, strangly enough I checked the effective sensitivity using the PCDC spreadsheet I found at the FRD consortium and they are EXACTLY the same, what luck!

Both the tweets and the mids are 87 alone and 99 together.

I have determined that a 4000hz crossover is what I am going to do. 2nd order Bessel is what I am thinking of trying.

What I meant by waiting for the drivers to arrive is that I am assuming that 16 - 8ohm mids parrallel/series wired together will have a very different actual resitance than nominal resistance. Am I splitting hairs, or is this a valid assumption?:confused:

Nelson
:D :D :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.