Scan, Accuton,SB etc.. drivers you wish they would make.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
First up, Accuton - the best sensible money driver they do is the 8 ohm C158 with hybrid magnet. Its a great entry level driver suited for standmount or mid purposes due to the smaller voice coil.. But v frustrating if you need a 4 ohm or smaller mid.
I reckon a 4.5-5" in 4 or 6ohms, at around $200 (£150) wd sell bucketloads

Scan and SB.. is there a reason why they havent produced a ring radiator mid dome? I think this wd be awesome, if it were possible.

A small part of my wishlist.

First up, Accuton - the best sensible money driver they do is the 8 ohm C158 with hybrid magnet. Its a great entry level driver suited for standmount or mid purposes due to the smaller voice coil.. But v frustrating if you need a 4 ohm or smaller mid.
I reckon a 4.5-5" in 4 or 6ohms, at around $200 (£150) wd sell bucketloads

Scan and SB.. is there a reason why they havent produced a ring radiator mid dome? I think this wd be awesome, if it were possible.

A small part of my wishlist.

Hi Bill,

Curt Campbell and I just completed a new design with the Accuton C158 as a mid in a 3-way. Accutons simply have a level of detail, smoothness and sophistication that I've not heard in other drivers.

My complaint about Accutons in the past has been they can be a bit analytical sounding without the correct crossover. Curt, of course, took care of that with just the right touch of warmth to make them extremely smooth and natural sounding.

I had them at Dakota DIY but the cabinets weren't finished. Now they are and will be at Parts Express's MWAF DIY event in a couple weeks.

These have replaced my Statements II as my reference. :D

Jim

Attachments

• DSC_4987 (Large).jpg
    DSC_4987 (Large).jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 289
Peerless XLS10 (P830452) and XLS12 (P830500) . What is funny Tymphany themselves recently confirmed to me that both models are still (again) produced and long bright future is in front of these models. The problem is out of curiosity becouse nobody want to sell me them! Everywhere they say that they are gone. But not. Nobody wants to distribute it... Do you know how much time I have spent seeking for it or convincing dealers to interest more on this subject? Hey What's up? Hello Tymphany distributors are you hear me? Wake up! These are great drivers legendary subwoofers are waiting on the shelf. Not only Scan and Satori exist today...

Curt Campbell and I just completed a new design with the Accuton C158 as a mid in a 3-way. Accutons simply have a level of detail, smoothness and sophistication that I've not heard in other drivers.

HI Jim thanks for posting this! Gorgeous design!! RS225-4? I was thinking of this exact combo a couple of months ago, great value high end! Btw you can order the C158 w/black cone direct, I looked into it. AST 2560 too.. damn...they must complement perfectly with the Accuton's. Look forward to the write up.

HI Jim thanks for posting this! Gorgeous design!! RS225-4? I was thinking of this exact combo a couple of months ago, great value high end! Btw you can order the C158 w/black cone direct, I looked into it. AST 2560 too.. damn...they must complement perfectly with the Accuton's. Look forward to the write up.

Thanks for the kind words Bill. They have exceeded my expectations. The C158's were a special order at the time through Madisound. I didn't know black cones were available. These are the 8 ohm versions and the RS225's are also 8 ohm connected in parallel. Clarity caps through out.

Curt and I had never played with AMT's before the AST2560. Yep, they are a perfect match to the C158's. The accuracy of the AST and C158 are the best by far of anything I've owned.

The write up, cabinet drawings, BOM are coming slowly. I'm the hold up on this part. Once I get it done and sent to Curt, he'll post it on his website free for personal use as we've done with the other designs we've collaborated on.

Thanks again!

Jim

... the RS225's are also 8 ohm connected in parallel. Clarity caps through out...

The write up, cabinet drawings, BOM are coming slowly. I'm the hold up on this part. Once I get it done and sent to Curt, he'll post it on his website free for personal use as we've done with the other designs we've collaborated on.

Thanks again!

Jim
Are there 16 Ohm versions of this driver, or are they coonected in series?

I hope this speaker gets it's own thread, they look very interesting...

Are there 16 Ohm versions of this driver, or are they coonected in series?

I hope this speaker gets it's own thread, they look very interesting...

Thanks! I appreciate your comments.

To clarify my remarks on the RS225's, they are 8 ohm drivers which Curt connected in parallel for a net of 4 ohms. The AST2560's are 4 ohms and the C158 is rated at 8 ohms.

RS225's are also available in 4 ohm versions but I'm not aware of 16 ohm varieties.

Curt is the crossover wizard that pulls it all together.

HTH

Jim

Jim have you tried the CF120-4? I've ordered a pair just out of curiosity, as a cheap mid for a future build.
Thats another driver Dayton shd make, a larger version..

Hi Will,

Actually, I hadn't seen these before your post. I'm more focused on 3-ways that fit into the decor at my home for WAF. I'm not a big 2-way fan and there are only a few spots in the house that can accommodate speakers. I have the Anthology's in the living room that get used more for entertaining back ground music than anything else and the Bordeaux's are downstairs in my listening room/home theater room for serious listening. BTW, the Bordeaux's match the Statements II center channel extremely well. It's all about the voicing, IMHO.

Jim

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.