Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

3-way deliberations
3-way deliberations
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th June 2017, 06:44 AM   #11
picowallspeaker is offline picowallspeaker  Italy
diyAudio Member

Look for the new Wavecor woofer & subwoofers. The new 11" in 60 l might reach 20 Hz
Old 30th June 2017, 07:18 AM   #12
4real is offline 4real  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by picowallspeaker View Post
Look for the new Wavecor woofer & subwoofers. The new 11" in 60 l might reach 20 Hz
I can't find any 11" subs on this their website? Even so, 60 liters is will be to big for me. I've look at the SW276BD01, but SPL wise it would not be better than the two Satori's (and worse above 40Hz). Might be cheaper though. The Rythmic system will give me about 3dB more output, and probably lower distortion. Whether I take the MW16 or MR16 does not really seem to matter SPL wise, they show exactly the same curve.

Last edited by 4real; 30th June 2017 at 07:20 AM.
Old 30th June 2017, 07:32 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Oh, the 11" is a "coming soon". Closed box of half the size should be fair.
Very low sensitivity so active is suggested...
Old 1st July 2017, 06:15 PM   #14
LineSource is offline LineSource  United States
diyAudio Member

If you purchase a complete Rythmik Audio 2 x DS800 cabinet and amplifier, the extra cone area of the Satori MW19P-4 or ScanSpeak 18WU/8741T00 might be a favorable dynamics match around the bass crossover. Troels Gravesen website has build articles for the ScanSpeak Illuminator Monitor with complete crossover, and also design information for a SBA MW19P Studio Monitor. An 11" wide cabinet can be constructed for either which will match the DS800 box. A sealed monitor cabinet, plus a 12db passive crossover(C-L) will provide ~24db high pass slope to blend into the DS800. You can still work on DSP options from bi-amp to full room bass equalization.

Rythmik Audio 2 x DS800 manual:
11"(W) x 20" (H )x 15-1/2" (D)
Crossover slope Selectable 12 or 24 dB / octave low pass; NO HIGH PASS CROSSOVER IS MENTIONED
Old 3rd July 2017, 08:31 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Thanks LS,

In the attachment below you can see the max SPL curves of several drivers. Indeed the MW19 does get close the the dual 8" Rythmik. The only one keeping up is actually the PHL (impressive with only 2 mm Xmax), only X-over well need to be a bit higher. We also see the MW16 and MR16 basically have the same max output from about 130Hz on. On the other hand, if 30Hz is the measure, any of the drivers will do because the Rythmiks will be the limiting factor. Even a 12" per side will not change that fact. So what is wisdom here?

Interestingly the MW19 does not seen to have a worse dispersion than the MW16. They seem to start beaming at about the same moment. I'd be interested in some distortion comparisons between the two.

The Troels version might be interesting if my wife likes the design. It's kind of a classic design. I still think it would be a big box, specially with the standard DS800 box below. I'd need to slim down the design a fair bit
Attached Images
File Type: jpg winISD.jpg (457.6 KB, 195 views)

Last edited by 4real; 3rd July 2017 at 08:48 AM.
Old 3rd July 2017, 09:20 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

I wouldn't put the mid-wf box on top of a subwoofer box, even if it sponsors "counterforce positioned woofers"
Old 3rd July 2017, 07:23 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

What makes calling it a "subwoofer" make it any different from a normal 3-way with a potent bass driver?
Old 3rd July 2017, 07:44 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

It is not, of course, a sub-frequency transducer because we wouldn't hear it.
Or subsonic...
Even if high mass goes well together with the inertia of the very low frequencies. And high (moving) mass is best with high power, as current controls the movement.
That's why it's better to put every piece, which has a determined pass-band,
on its own. This lends to extend the reasoning to the woofer, mid and tweeter.
Same for the crossover components, cables, etc.
Old 3rd July 2017, 08:32 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Well even if that is the case, it's all about compromises here.. Just like wanting to have a small "box" with a nice design. It's probably not the best choice sonically. If so we'd probably all have some super huge and fancy highly ugly speaker in our rooms... but we (mostly ) don't.. The sport is to find what compromised can be made (and traded) to make great looking system that can sound damn good as well.

Last edited by 4real; 3rd July 2017 at 08:37 PM.
Old 4th July 2017, 04:39 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

You don't have to. Just leave it to others. 20-30 W amp power is enough to bring to our attention and enjoy what's inside the disc. 100 W speakers are needed to supply for the peaks. But those numbers are useless, as there are many many more in a system and everything concurs in bringing the content of the disc to your ears.
I assume that the signal has to be processed in some ways - amplification, equalization- splitting for the drivers and mounting them in a favourable way.

3-way deliberationsHide this!Advertise here!