New Project: 4 way, horn loaded from 160hz upwards

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here is a new project of mine that I have been planning in my head. I have started to model it and this weekend I plan on simulating the midbass on hornresp. I already heard and liked the radian on yuichi and have the fostex and know the combination with the respective crossover setting. I am open for recommendations on midbass drivers for this specific horn.

Anyway, it is a four way as follows:

18hz to 140hz coverage by Direct radiators with servo controlled drivers and sealed cabinet with plate amps. (amps and drivers may be from Rythmik)

140hz to 550-600hz coverage by fc150hz tractrix like the volvotreter or old Edgar horn. I am thinking of B&C 15 NDL 76 driver. The midbass horn will be reinforced within the box that covers it. The box follows the contour of the Yuichi horn above.

550hz-600hz to 6000hz fc290hz Yuichi or TAD horn, whichever you like to call it with Radian 850pb. Fostex r100t attenuators will also be employed.

6000hz to 20000hz+ Fostex t500amkII

I am planning a passive crossover for the horn stack. I will measure the drivers responses in their horns and do impedance correcting circuit along first order filters.

I am thinking of finishing it with professional help and have piano black exteriors, with wood grain horns similar to some Living Voice Olympian finishes except for the bling they put on.

Here are some rough sketches for a general idea. I didnt model the curve on the yuichi horn in the drawing but exterior size is right. I already have the cnc plans for it though.

Attachments

• isopersp.jpg
    isopersp.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 362
  • toppersp.jpg
    toppersp.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 360
  • backisopersp.jpg
    backisopersp.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 351
Here is a new project of mine that I have been planning in my head. I have started to model it and this weekend I plan on simulating the midbass on hornresp. I already heard and liked the radian on yuichi and have the fostex and know the combination with the respective crossover setting. I am open for recommendations on midbass drivers for this specific horn.

Anyway, it is a four way as follows:

18hz to 140hz coverage by Direct radiators with servo controlled drivers and sealed cabinet with plate amps. (amps and drivers may be from Rythmik)

140hz to 550-600hz coverage by fc150hz tractrix like the volvotreter or old Edgar horn. I am thinking of B&C 15 NDL 76 driver. The midbass horn will be reinforced within the box that covers it. The box follows the contour of the Yuichi horn above.

550hz-600hz to 6000hz fc290hz Yuichi or TAD horn, whichever you like to call it with Radian 850pb. Fostex r100t attenuators will also be employed.

6000hz to 20000hz+ Fostex t500amkII

I am planning a passive crossover for the horn stack.

All good up to here! Sounds like a great project.

I will measure the drivers responses in their horns and do impedance correcting circuit along first order filters.

Argh! No, no no! Why ruin it all with a basic crossover that won't function properly no matter what?
You want good out-of-band attenuation and good phase matching at the critical crossover frequency of ~600Hz (phase matching at 6000Hz doesn't matter, instead).
Considering the 'natural' roll-off of the horn-loaded Mid, this can only be achieved using properly implemented (and possibly asymmetrical, depending on the driver offsets) higher-order slopes.

Marco

how it might look

Thank you Marco-gea for your input. With my current horn system, I use impedance correction and first order filters except for the bass radiators to midbass. All the drivers are time aligned physically. I do really like how they sound and measure.

Can you please explain more for me, I would really like to understand what you suggest. Thanks.

by the way, I was playing with sketchup, here is how I might make the finishing.

Attachments

• hornfinishing1.jpg
    hornfinishing1.jpg
    696.7 KB · Views: 318
  • hornfinish2.jpg
    hornfinish2.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 315
Thank you Marco-gea for your input. With my current horn system, I use impedance correction and first order filters except for the bass radiators to midbass. All the drivers are time aligned physically. I do really like how they sound and measure.

Can you please explain more for me, I would really like to understand what you suggest. Thanks.

Unfortunately I'm really overloaded with work these days, but as soon as I find some time I'll try and put together some quick simulations to explain what I mean.

size

looks quite compact sized speaker system

Yes, that was one of the things I was going for. My own system is about 210cm high and not very friendly for many peoples spaces. I tore down walls in my house to have a better space for it!

This one is compact relative to that and many horn systems. Highest point is about 98cm. Tweeters are slightly over ear height and the system is still horn loaded from 140hz on.

Here it is along a 175cm man.

Attachments

• hornscalefigure.jpg
    hornscalefigure.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 112
Quick crossover simulation to prove my point

OK, please see in attachment:

1) typical simulated responses for a good 15" woofer and a large-format compression driver loaded by a ~300Hz hypex horn;

2) result of a textbook 1st order crossover at Fx = 600Hz, with both acoustic centres carefully aligned;

3) result of a bespoke asymmetrical 6th order LP / 2nd order HP crossover at Fx = 600Hz, with a suitable offset between the acoustic centres to achieve good phase tracking in the frequency range around Fx where both drivers contribute significantly to the total output.

I think the results speak for themselves.
Marco

Attachments

• 1) raw drivers.gif
    1) raw drivers.gif
    33.5 KB · Views: 131
  • 2) textbook 1st order, no offset.gif
    2) textbook 1st order, no offset.gif
    39.4 KB · Views: 103
  • 3) asymmetrical 6th-2nd order with offset.gif
    3) asymmetrical 6th-2nd order with offset.gif
    50 KB · Views: 105
Thanks Marco!
I will definitely try your suggestion to learn with the help of my minidsp!

By the way, 15" is not the driver I was looking for, it is 12", it was a mistake on my part
The drawing is for the 12" as well, while I was looking for alternative drivers, I somehow got mixed up and started chekcing 15"
I can follow the volvotreter way and use ElectroVoice EVM12L and listen to it. It is easy to find for me.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.