SB26ADC-04 vs SB26STCN-04

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Has anyone compared these two tweeters ?

I am considering using a pair of either in combination with the new metal coned SB17NBAC35-8 woofers. I like the fact that the STCN is smaller, thereby minimising the spacing between the drivers, although tests on the ADC (by Troels Graveson) show very low distortion.

This site has test results for both: AudioGurman, just use a browser that can translate. He also tested the SB29RDNC-C000-4 which is also a small format tweeter. IMO all three are very good (I have used the two small format ones and have heard good things about the ADC besides Troels). Of the three the ADC should be able to cross over the lowest if that's a concern.

Many thanks, that's very useful.

Those measurements do tend to confirm that the ADC is exceptionally good. My crossover simulations show that a crossover freq of about 2.3kHz works well (3rd order on the woofer to suppress the breakup, and 2nd order on the tweeter).

I`ve used about 28 SB26STCN so far, very good tweeter for the money with high consistency between units. The ADC has lower Fs and lower sensitivity, if you do a MTM with it, it can do without a resistor. The SB26STCN can be crossed as low as 1.85Khz with a 4th order slope although its best kept above 2Khz due to rising distortion.

I have made some design with SB26ADC-04, in my 3 Way monitor it was allmost impossible to pair it with rs125 (there was allways some problem with phase), so after all I have decided to pair it with SB15NBAC-08.

Overal very good, transparent tweeter, low distortion, can be crossed very low, but You must be carefull with top octave and correct it after some listening tests. The top octave with inproper crossover or amplifier can be to ''forward'' if You know what a mean.

Attachments

• monitorek2.jpg
    monitorek2.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 1,212
  • monitorek.jpg
    monitorek.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 1,453
  • thd1.png
    thd1.png
    15.1 KB · Views: 1,181
  • thd2.png
    thd2.png
    41.1 KB · Views: 1,141
I have made some design with SB26ADC-04, in my 3 Way monitor it was allmost impossible to pair it with rs125 (there was allways some problem with phase), so after all I have decided to pair it with SB15NBAC-08.

Overal very good, transparent tweeter, low distortion, can be crossed very low, but You must be carefull with top octave and correct it after some listening tests. The top octave with inproper crossover or amplifier can be to ''forward'' if You know what a mean.

Those cabinets are beautiful looking. It always amazes me how some people can make some beautiful looking cabinets - something I am not sure I can do.

Those cabinets are beautiful looking. It always amazes me how some people can make some beautiful looking cabinets - something I am not sure I can do.

Your veneering execution is decent but the concept of beauty involves more than that. Stepped baffle of yours and the fact that the whole enclosure is of the same color, I mean the triplets, contributes to the overall appearance that is a bit less than optimal. Contrast helps very much.

Reactions: 1 user
ZVu
I got a problem to match it up 100%, turned out that SB26adc doesnt fitt rs125 so I changed the project. Phase is IMHO way more important than flat response.....

I tend to disagree with your view about order of importance but that's another matter. To me they are both important but 3dB peak at 1.5KHz is fire to my ears, 5KHz just a little bit less. 3dB difference at frequencies where our hearing is quite sensitive can be a problem - at least for me.

I find more and more high quality Polish sites about diy hifi and testing/measuring loudspeakers. It's quite refreshing.

Dziękuję za to :)

Knock knock... Who is there ?
SB26ADC :D

As I promised some conclusion about SB26ADC. Very nice driver for the money, transparent (with hell a lot of details) and smooth. Low distortion, can be crossed easy at about 2kHz 3rd order. The 3kHz artefact comes from my smallish baffle. In my previous 3way monitor it looked better.
The Worth of buying anyway..

I have pair it with SB15nbac-8 which is a very good also.

Attachments

• sb15nbac prcnt.png
    sb15nbac prcnt.png
    12.6 KB · Views: 644
  • multitone.png
    multitone.png
    9.2 KB · Views: 614
  • SB Monitor response.png
    SB Monitor response.png
    30.9 KB · Views: 257
  • SB15NBAC-8.png
    SB15NBAC-8.png
    30.1 KB · Views: 254
  • monitor gotowy 1.png
    monitor gotowy 1.png
    14 KB · Views: 189
  • sb26ADC.png
    sb26ADC.png
    28.6 KB · Views: 663
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.