Which 15"pro woofer? B&C or Faitalpro.....

ICG

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
most B&C woofers won't deliver real deep bass. I would suggest Faital Pro or Acoustic Elegance

What a nonsense! If they deliver bass or not depends on the specific woofer, not on the manufacturer! That's like saying "there's a slow Mercedes, buy a BMW". :rolleyes:

Acoustic Elegance isn't even a choice since the only 15" driver they have with high spl costs TWICE as much (LO15), is completely unusable for a ported or even closed box because of the Qts being ridiculously high (0.82). Everything else they've got has a really low spl AND is a lot more expensive. The cheapest 15" I've found was 244$ (with more than 8dB less spl!) and that's roughly 45% MORE than the mentioned drivers! Even if you manage to find a cheaper one, they are not remotely suitable for such a usage, that are almost all car subwoofers.

I repeat it. Faital Pro 15FH520 is even a little better

Better in what? Bass? Yes. But the 15FH520 doesn't have a good midrange, not very detailed and not very dynamic, which makes it a worse choice for a 2-way fullrange speaker.

Acoustic Elegance isn't even a choice since the only 15" driver they have with high spl costs TWICE as much (LO15), is completely unusable for a ported or even closed box because of the Qts being ridiculously high (0.82). Everything else they've got has a really low spl AND is a lot more expensive. The cheapest 15" I've found was 244$ (with more than 8dB less spl!) and that's roughly 45% MORE than the mentioned drivers! Even if you manage to find a cheaper one, they are not remotely suitable for such a usage, that are almost all car subwoofers.

Seems you didn't see some of the other drivers, specifically, the TD series. Acoustic Elegance TD15M high efficiency bass/midbass driver

There are a number of excellent Acoustic Elegance drivers, and the LO15 is intended for open baffle usage, hence the high QTs.

I'm not saying they're the right choice here, but they're both excellent and available with the "right" specs.

ICG

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
What a nonsense! If they deliver bass or not depends on the specific woofer, not on the manufacturer! That's like saying "there's a slow Mercedes, buy a BMW".

I would say that there is some truth in Dave123's stamtement when you have a look at the TSPs of the majority of these drivers. At least when we are talking about "natural" unequalised response. One B&C driver that I find interesting is the 15NBX100 (used by Geddes for example). But it is more expensive than the aformentioned 15NDL76.

But as already mentioned the OP isn't restricted to tunings that are naturally flat when he is going active.

Regards

Charles

Well guys the decision has been made and there are a pair of FaitalPro 15pr400 speakers headed to my haus at the moment.

I ordered them from lautsprecherteile.de at the price of 178euros each which I find completely ok!

I cant wait!!

Size is not really a concern (Happily Divorced:D) and the room they are going in is also quite large.... I was considering "scoop" designs as well.

I have a subwoofer and wont be asking these to produce deep bass so my options are not so restricted.

I have indeed over the years been proven to be a fan of sealed boxes.

My question would be then what are the benefits/tradeoffs of sealed/ported for this FaitalPro 15pr400 when used exclusively in a home setting and size of the enclosure is not really a concern....:D

I would assume that the sealed config. would provide excellent impulse response and the bass would indeed be helped by room gain; I also tend to prefer Qtc=0.5 flatter alignments.