Square formation ML-TL Square formation ML-TL - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Square formation ML-TL
Square formation ML-TL
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th June 2017, 05:38 AM   #1
caffeineaddict is offline caffeineaddict  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Square formation ML-TL

Hi all,

I've been thinking (always a dangerous thing) about a stack of drivers I have kicking around and pondered using them to make a TMWWWW, with a sealed Mid, and four drivers for the woofer, and having fallen in love with transmission lines have been trying to figure out if I could get away with using them in that configuration.

MJK's worksheets allow for stacking two driver's vertically, but any more then that and it stops working for the purposes of making it a transmission line. My question is, is there a reason not to use four drivers in a square, therefore not running into the problems that would normally come from stacking four drivers vertically in a MLTL. My (admittedly lacking) understanding is that as long as the centre-to-centre of the drivers fell within a certain upper wavelength limit then they would act as one driver, and wouldn't suffer from any combing effects, so in the case of a TMWWWW, where they would probably be filtered out at a max of around 300hz (wavelength of roughly 45"), there shouldn't be any issues?

I have run the idea past MJK on his yahoo group and he suggested that it is an idea that may work in a TL, but I wondered if anyone here had some input or had tried something similar in the past.

using these parameters for the 4 drivers:
F: 48hz
R: 6.3Ohm
L: 0.732mH
Bl 13.488
Sd: 480cm^2
Vas: 70.83
Qes: 0.537
Qms: 1.637
Qts: 0.404

And Geometry:
Length: 178cm
Driver distance from top: 43.5
Port from top: 160cm
Internal top and bottom area: 38cm*38cm
Stuffed about a third of the way down between driver and port with stuffing density of 0.6lb/ft^3
Radius of port: 9cm
Length of port: 8cm

I get a graph of this for the Frequency response
Attached Images
File Type: bmp 4 Driver MLTL - Square formation.bmp (69.4 KB, 26 views)

Square formation ML-TLHide this!Advertise here!