JLH 1969 CLASS A - What speaker?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone,

Want to build the JLH 1969 10W Class A.
Any recommendation for a 'reasonable' cost high efficiency 3 way? Like the Klipsch Cornwall with Eminence drivers perhaps?

Should I use a simple ebay-kit or just use 'point-to-point' wiring on the heat-sink? .. it's a simple schematic.
I prefer that... and get lot of 2N3055 and test them. Not sure about the drivers...

Like to hear from any experience you had with this amp, using different speakers.

Cheers,
Mick

I have a wicked hybrid 3 way loudspeaker design in my mind that I might simulate for the fun of it made of 2 Eminence Alpha 15A in 400 litres sealed cabinet, one Eminence Alpha 6C and one SB Acoustics 29 RDNC-4 for a total of 94-95 dB spl/2,83V/1m. That's one giant box capable of F3/F6/F10 = 49/42/34 Hz. Put that closer to a wall and you're ready to rock. What do you think?

Thanks for the suggestion Lojzek,

I think the Alpha 15A is a high Qt driver... very good for an open-baffle design. I saw one on the www ... but the system is not has a high efficiency for a 10W class A me think.
The 6C and the SB tweeter achieve 90+ dB sensitivity with low impedance.

What I'm after is a Eminence 15" BR with mid and tweeter horn that sound good with the JLH amp.

Mick

TMW-Alpha 15A, Alphalite 6A, SBA 29 RDNC

I was curious what would the FR and IMP be like so I gave this combination a quick sim. Took a 260 litres sealed box for a F3/F6/F10=46/40/32 Hz which is a good compromise of sensitivity and cut-off.

Attachments

• FR.jpg
    FR.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 265
  • IMP.jpg
    IMP.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 260
Hello everyone!
Unlike AstroMick I have already built a 2005 jlh and I find myself with the same problem, I can not find suitable speakers for this amplifier. After long lucubrations I came to the conclusion that the best solution would be to drive the highways of a digitally crossed pair of highways with a mid-woofer pair for low ways, to have a similar sensitivity, powered by another power amp . But now I am focusing on the medium high with jlh amplifier finished and i would like to try its value, i thought i would get a 1.4 inch compression driver with its horn, faital hf146 plus 18suond xt1464, 800 / 18000hz 109db, i guess it might be the solution. However, it seems to me that in recent times there is a general orientation of the diy towards the widely praised FAST system and wide array Array systems with many small parallel-connected transducers that could represent alternative solutions. Keeping in mind the little power available 12W / 8ohm 24W / 4ohm and using it in the house listening to the most varied music genres, from jazz to symphonics by going to the pop I would like you to express the observations of the case.
Any suggestion will be appreciated.

Mleod

Correct me if I'm wrong... but Mr Klipsch stated all you need is a good 5W amp...
for he's +100dB/m/W classics.

To choose drivers available today (with economical prices) ... a 15" Eminence woofer in a + 200L BR cabinet with some phenolic horn mid and tweeter should do it.... me think.

My question is, how this amp sound like with a speaker like that?

If you compared this to a class AB 100-200W with a (say) KEF 86dB/m/W British monitor ... how is that compare?

Ps.: I don't like single driver back-loaded horns...

Mick

In this case I think that before evaluating the characteristics of the amplifier it is important to focus the advantages and defects between the two systems, horn high sensitivity / direct low efficiency radiation.
I think the peculiar features of jlh are extreme precision and aperture on medium high frequencies and a dry dry but articulated bass.
This I was able to test with a pair of very low 8ohm speakers, born for an integrated I am home, so not so trustworthy.
Obviously, the volume of listening can not be compared to the live one, considering the relative but uncertain sensitivity of the transducer employed.
I did not have to use woofers that require some strength and control and frankly I'm doubtful about the real ability to drive properly certain membranes that need great current and damping factor ... I do not know!
That is why I was thinking of dividing the two paths into bi/amping or looking for relatively small but effective transducers, perhaps paralleled, but with features that would be an easy and intrinsically controlled load.
My doubts arise from my little experience in using and building a speaker. For me, too, is to take care of the considerations of Mr Klipsch and here is the reason for my idea, I do not know how good, the 2 way medium-high focus on the driver Faital hf146 plus horn 18 sound xt1464 of which I read characterized by a Good extension down and a good smoothness .... at first then evaluate on the low way, also because the amp and work in progress according to the results.
This in theory, I would like some confirmation on these considerations to break my doubts. HI!

Mleod

No, it wasn't, just a regular higher Qts unit with an Fb bump. The series resistance was 0.35 ohm from the series LP inductor.

edit1: I think that I may have added cca. 1 ohm of dcr to meet the inducive reactance part of the manufacturer impedance graph for the impedance based on TS parameters wouldn't track the measured one just right.

edit2:Had a look at the zma simmed file, at 10 Hz Z=6,7 minus dcr of the inductor would be ok with driver Re=5,88. It turns that this time I did not do any dcr changes.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.