Horn+fullrange

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I'm aware there is a relation between a CD (with a Fq and a crossover recommended point) and a horn.
A 500Hz CD will not go lower than 500Hz even with a 300Hz horn.

But what happens when you use a fullrange?
Fullrange doesn't have a limit (at least in the Fq range that a domestic horn can handle)

I ask it because I saw this:
BD-Design - DIY Oris horns
Seems to be something ala Le Cleach, and 77cm for 150 Hz (this is the xover point I like much).

But when I check specs on horns-diy website, a 96cm Le Cleach gives only 25OHz?
JMLC-200 - Horns by Auto-Tech

So anybody can tell me if there is something wrong?

Thanks
Chris

ICG

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
These are no exception. In the best case you get below 250Hz no dispersion control and lower spl, in the worst case you limit the spl and dynamic to what the wide band driver is capable of without horn. That means, you've got a horn speaker without the most advantages. I find it strange almost every 'high end' horn manufacturer claims to be a lot better than all the others and yet they practically all fail to provide any evidence or measurement to prove their claims.

BTW I'm not a big fan of spherical horns, they beam very much at the upper end, radiate broad at the lower end, are huge and very expensive.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Hi,

I'm aware there is a relation between a CD (with a Fq and a crossover recommended point) and a horn.
A 500Hz CD will not go lower than 500Hz even with a 300Hz horn.

But what happens when you use a fullrange?
Fullrange doesn't have a limit (at least in the Fq range that a domestic horn can handle)

I ask it because I saw this:
BD-Design - DIY Oris horns
Seems to be something ala Le Cleach, and 77cm for 150 Hz (this is the xover point I like much).

But when I check specs on horns-diy website, a 96cm Le Cleach gives only 25OHz?
JMLC-200 - Horns by Auto-Tech

So anybody can tell me if there is something wrong?

Thanks
Chris

Because the ORIS is a tractrix curve and the jmlc-200 is a Le Cleach, the actual effective horn sizes are somewhat different from one another. Also, look at the difference between the two, with respect to throat/mouth size ratio. The ORIS is made for an 8 inch full-range (wide band) driver. In my opinion, all speaker designs have inherent compromises, but the ORIS, since it allows a greater degree of mid range coverage, sounds more musically pleasing. The problem with all these 500Hz compression driver horns, is they fall short with respect to integrity of the mid range. Sure, they will play much louder than a cone loaded horn, but do not sound as good. 500Hz is not a very good crossover point. Furthermore, many compression drivers fail to even get as low as 500Hz. Matching a horn loaded compression driver to a direct radiator cone bass driver is very difficult, if not down right impossible. Besides, the system efficiency is ultimately dictated by the lowest used. Thus, having a CD/horn covering from 500, or, 750 up that is capable of 112 db/watt really doesn't do much good in the real world when your bass section can only do 97 db at best. Big heffin' mid-bass horns should be used for the lower mid range/ upper bass when a CD/ horn is used for mids and highs, and then you will have to allow an appreciable listening distance for those to "gel" together. Yes, best used in very large rooms.

Because the ORIS is a tractrix curve and the jmlc-200 is a Le Cleach, the actual effective horn sizes are somewhat different from one another. Also, look at the difference between the two, with respect to throat/mouth size ratio. The ORIS is made for an 8 inch full-range (wide band) driver. In my opinion, all speaker designs have inherent compromises, but the ORIS, since it allows a greater degree of mid range coverage, sounds more musically pleasing. The problem with all these 500Hz compression driver horns, is they fall short with respect to integrity of the mid range. Sure, they will play much louder than a cone loaded horn, but do not sound as good. 500Hz is not a very good crossover point. Furthermore, many compression drivers fail to even get as low as 500Hz. Matching a horn loaded compression driver to a direct radiator cone bass driver is very difficult, if not down right impossible. Besides, the system efficiency is ultimately dictated by the lowest used. Thus, having a CD/horn covering from 500, or, 750 up that is capable of 112 db/watt really doesn't do much good in the real world when your bass section can only do 97 db at best. Big heffin' mid-bass horns should be used for the lower mid range/ upper bass when a CD/ horn is used for mids and highs, and then you will have to allow an appreciable listening distance for those to "gel" together. Yes, best used in very large rooms.

Right that's why I was loooking for a horn who can handle a full range to cut @150.
But doesn't sound easy to find, I may keep my OB's then ;-)

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Right that's why I was loooking for a horn who can handle a full range to cut @150.
But doesn't sound easy to find, I may keep my OB's then ;-)

The ORIS tractrix 150 can be used down to about 220 Hz. Lower than that, at least for a tractrix curve, and then the horn starts to get really large.

150Hz on an open baffle ? What size is the wavelength for 150 Hz ?

I think you will need some e.q to get something like that to work. Next, you would need to figure out how to get a driver to cover as low as 150hz and still be usable through all of the mid range.

The "OB" sound quality is the almost exact opposite of horn sound quality.
An "OB" gives a laid back lateral spread, whereas a horn is "forward" sounding.

You're right, it's a little bit challenging, this is the result I got.
889d5628f015d2bf5dce61af6ab51f1c.jpg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.