MLTL Cab Plans For GPA 604-8H-III

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks Dave! I chatted with him earlier and he mentioned he ordered the 604's, and I suggested that he should go with the Bison's, as they were a ready made plan specific for the GPA 604-H-III driver, that he could just hand over to his cabinet maker etc. Plus he's kind of in a hurry he said as his cabinet maker is going on vacation in a few weeks, and he's eager to get them built etc.

Anyhow thanks to everyone! And hopefully he'll join up here at diy and share his impressions, or if not I can perhaps let the thread know here how everything turned out etc.

Some build pics of the Bison MLTL Cab. These will be veneered, so a ways to go still. No measurements will be given as these are a paid plan set.

One thing I was wondering if it was okay to offset the port like that rather than centered? I guess his builder figured that would be best and also because of bracing etc.

Attachments

• Bison.jpg
    Bison.jpg
    235.5 KB · Views: 377
  • thumbnail_DSC_0340.jpg
    thumbnail_DSC_0340.jpg
    231.6 KB · Views: 142
  • thumbnail_DSC_0338.jpg
    thumbnail_DSC_0338.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 143
  • thumbnail_DSC_0337.jpg
    thumbnail_DSC_0337.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 124
  • thumbnail_DSC_0336.jpg
    thumbnail_DSC_0336.jpg
    237.8 KB · Views: 300
  • thumbnail_DSC_0334.jpg
    thumbnail_DSC_0334.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 322
  • thumbnail_DSC_0333 - Copy.jpg
    thumbnail_DSC_0333 - Copy.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 331
  • thumbnail_DSC_0323.jpg
    thumbnail_DSC_0323.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 329
Last edited:
Thanks for posting. It's nice to have a forerunner on my planned path. As a result of you initial post, I bought a set of Bison plans and expect to follow in your footsteps. I have 3 refurbed 604Cs, so I'll make two offset cabs and one centered. Probably won't start 'til the end of the year.

I've been running two 605Bs in open baffle, following John Busch's inspirational pair, and recently built some AmpCamp amps which work beautifully with them. (I'll post them once buttoned up and pretty). The should work even better with the more efficient 604s.

Skip

Skip, sounds good! Unfortunately this is not my build though, I put this thread up for someone who needed some help etc. I look forward to reading about yours and what you think of them when all is done. You may want to check with Dave or Scott, as I believe the Bison's are spec'd for the GPA 604, dunno? Might need some adjustments etc .

Dave, thanks for the info! I figured it out after I posted but then the edit time was over.

Also! I have pics of his completed Vulcans that he just sent me. They look really nice and he loves the sound he said. Do you want me to send them to you?

Edit: Dave and all! I put the Vulcan pics up in the Fullrange gallery.

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Also! I have pics of his completed Vulcans that he just sent me. They look really nice and he loves the sound he said. Do you want me to send them to you?

Edit: Dave and all! I put the Vulcan pics up in the Fullrange gallery.

I got the ones you put up on the gallery, you can send me if you have higher resolution versions.

dave

Bison was (thank you for the reminder Dave) a custom MLTL / reflex we did back in '11.

For comparison, in volume terms it's a 10.5ft^3 [nearly] cabinet;

Just ran across an '11 post on another forum re Jay's that looks like Dave's drawing except his is perched on some custom George Jetson space age furniture legs and otherwise has the same basic specs except has a lower tuning [measured Fs].

Regardless, within bulk, height limitations as Jay's was, doubt a smoother, extended performance can be had with any of the 604 series when up against a wall and judging my some others reviews for out in the room apps, around 30 Hz was the choice.

GM

It is, and it is cool. Like the new GPA website. Hope you don't absent yourself from these parts, Mr Monfort.

OK, thanks! Glad to see flickr hasn't gone the way of photobucket and some others.

No plans to depart per se, but after being in 'debtor's prison' for nearly 18 yrs, the end is in sight, barring another major market collapse, so once I fix/replace all the stuff that's fallen by the wayside, will hopefully have enough time left to go back to actually doing DIY audio and not just be a 'talking head', so probably won't leave much, if any, time to participate on the forums.

GM

https://greatplainsaudio.com/gms-corner/

Here's the pic that you mentioned I think? Looks nice!

Yeah, no one mentioned this to me, I just happened to notice it browsing the site, though later received an email related to it, so someone presumed I had nothing better to do with my time.

Yes, that's it; I started to post it, but wanted to find out if folks could view my photostream without having to sign in/whatever.

GM

That's good that things are going to start getting better for you GM, and also I just wanted to post that pic so that those that are signed in could see it open on the page as well. No one asked you before starting the GM's Corner area? Perhaps that was done for all the help you've given people over the years as a thank you. Maybe some of your postings will be moved there or something? Anyhow seems pretty cool!

I know the feeling as in post 58. The only reason I started this thread here and at the Altec site, is to help the buyer out a bit who purchased my beloved amp. I would have kept it forever if I could, but due to circumstance needed to raise some funds. Anyhow after chatting with him a few times during the sale of my amp, he mentioned that he was going to buy the 604 from GPA. So that's what started all these inquiries and such etc. Looks like my making of these threads overlapped the timing of the new changes coming about at GPA with the site and ready made cabs now etc etc. Looking good!

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.