MLTL Cab Plans For GPA 604-8H-III - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th June 2017, 12:03 AM   #11
mr ed is offline mr ed  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LineSource View Post
Does your friend already own the GPA 604-III? It is a great old-school speaker, but there are several better tube friendly new-tech speaker designs.
Have you ever listened to a 604 in a proper system?
Old 18th June 2017, 02:25 AM   #12
DaveCan is offline DaveCan  Canada
diyAudio Member

The Billfort cabs are interesting as well, although not specifically tuned for the GPA 604 H III drivers. Nice looking and the lower front side ports are an interesting take. Could be a neat style to make into a MLTL, tune lower, and enlarge it a bit.

Billforts Audio Obsession

Last edited by DaveCan; 18th June 2017 at 02:31 AM.
Old 19th June 2017, 02:10 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

I've messaged Scott regarding his Bison design, so hopefully he will chime in soon and chat about it a bit. Not sure if the plan is available to be purchased or not, but would be nice to hear his thoughts on it for sure!
Old 20th June 2017, 12:50 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Here's a design from across the Pacific for a different 604. Not considering it, but thought some may like to see it if they hadn't before.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...022285876f.jpg
Old 20th June 2017, 02:33 AM   #15
mr ed is offline mr ed  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveCan View Post
Here's a design from across the Pacific for a different 604. Not considering it, but thought some may like to see it if they hadn't before.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...022285876f.jpg
Interesting back loaded horn.
I would wager Scott design will be superior to this.
Old 20th June 2017, 02:48 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ed View Post
Interesting back loaded horn.
I would wager Scott design will be superior to this.
Oh for sure totally, agreed! Just came across it somehow and thought to link it here just out of interest for some Altec fans that maybe hadn't seen it before. I've been searching so much stuff lately and just happened on that one, can't remember how though lol.
Old 20th June 2017, 06:44 PM   #17
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveCan View Post
I've read some on GM's before and mentioned it to him and so here I am. I cannot seem to find any plans for them though.
Greets!

OK, did I respond? I don't recall.

A quick Google returned these suitable for the 604S3 except possibly vent tuning:

GPA 604 8H-III Build

http://www.lansingheritage.org/image...ign/page15.jpg

https://www.audioasylum.com/forums/h...13/136300.html

Billforts Audio Obsession

There's more with vents near the driver, but don't recommend them unless you want the Altec/JBL 'West Coast Sound', which adds a bump, null in the mid-bass of a high aspect ratio cab.

This, or functional equivalent for mass loading/bracing the driver, general bracing:

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/a...ip_mounted.jpg

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/altec/bracing.jpg

My default MLTL alignment for the [Fb] = [Fs] tuning required for high output impedance source is ~58-62" high with the driver offset in the ~0.33-0.42 [inside/i.d.] range depending on desired ear height, 30" wide min. [reduces/negates the need for baffle step compensation/BSC], depth as required [outside/o.d. dims] , ~0.84 offset or use bottom shelf vent or spaced up [adjustable] with bottom floor loading vent. Vent area [Av] = > [Sd]/4. Slot vents < 9:1 aspect ratio. Net [Vb] = [Vas] - [Vas]/1.44. Recommended [Qts'] range ~0.312 - 0.403

[Qts'] = [Qts] + any added series resistance: mh-audio.nl - Home

This cab tuned to [Fs] would be a good one for the minimum net [Vb] = [Vas]/1.44: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/geek...eaker-cab.html

GM
Old 20th June 2017, 07:47 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Thank you Greg, I will look through these links. That quote of me was my bad wording and sentence structure, sorry. What I meant was I mentioned about some of your MLTL's that I've read about, to the guy that wants to build some cabs for the GPA 604's he wants to purchase. He was recommended the Stonehenge V cab, and I told him to hold off a bit while I dig around and see if I can find some more info on something better, like an MLTL etc.

Would you have any plans all worked out for the GPA 604III for purchase that he could have his woodworker easily build from? This person that I'm inquiring for cannot diy at all, but he has a good cabinet builder. If not would you have any input on Scotts Bison design? I've messaged Scott but haven't heard back on how he thinks it may work for a larger room etc. I think the Bison cab is 290 or 300 liters, so 10.2413 and 10.5944 cubic feet.

Thanks, Dave.
Old 20th June 2017, 10:01 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Sorry for not having had chance to contribute; currently trying to complete work on a couple of papers & a draft monograph. Even emails have been suffering somewhat. Off to bed now but will go through my records in the morning; it's been a while so I don't want to trust my memory for details.
Old 20th June 2017, 10:44 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Awesome Scott thank you very much!

Hide this!Advertise here!