Custom Concrete Speaker Cabinets - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th June 2017, 04:41 PM   #11
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by badman View Post
DIY speaker builders, I suspect, have higher than average education levels and incomes. I don't disagree with your conclusion (not a great market), but in my experience most DIYers are in their 40s-50s and are reasonably well-to-do. The tools, time, etc, are not as accessible to people of low income, naturally, there are some exceptions.

Hmm, if a poll on income and edumatcation levels were politically correct, I think you'd find the results interesting
Old 15th June 2017, 05:00 PM   #12
Badge is offline Badge  United States
diyAudio Member

I did a front baffle in a cement mix. Props to anyone who can cast in driver openings, and maintain hardness so it does not crack or break.
Old 15th June 2017, 06:37 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

So perhaps the best approach is a run of small-ish (10 liter?) cabinets that are too small to ring much and not so heavy that shipping costs are unaffordable. Then if people want something custom/larger/oddly-shaped that can be done on an individual basis. The guy can fabricate more or less any shape that you can make with a pour process and a mold. How about a sphere? Can do. Curved baffles, sides, etc.? Can do. But these more complex options would be much more expensive and done on a custom basis. On the other hand, the production box can have curves and something that you just cannot do very easily in wood might be nice to set it apart. For example a racetrack-oval shape.

I don't think that including a few threaded inserts (e.g. to hold on a baffle) will represent a problem. DIYers can usually prepare their own baffles. On the other hand a rebated baffle out of terrazzo that is customized to a particular set of drivers is getting into the low volume custom work unless there is a group buy arranged or something like that.
Old 15th June 2017, 06:43 PM   #14
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

FWIW, I'd imagine the time and cost to fabricate molds and pour custom rebated baffles could be greater than CNC machining from billet aluminum?
Old 15th June 2017, 06:49 PM   #15
jcx is online now jcx  United States
diyAudio Member

not sure the basic idea of (polymer?) concrete baffles or the demand

but molds for "2.5 D" ~ flat stuff is way easy today with large CNC gantry routers at maker spaces or as services from the many individuals who have them in home wood shops
Old 15th June 2017, 06:59 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
FWIW, I'd imagine the time and cost to fabricate molds and pour custom rebated baffles could be greater than CNC machining from billet aluminum?
Molds are made from foam and fiberglass. Remember, the mold is then used to make many, many identical items. Machining an ALU block makes one.
Old 15th June 2017, 07:04 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcx View Post
not sure the basic idea of (polymer?) concrete baffles or the demand

but molds for "2.5 D" ~ flat stuff is way easy today with large CNC gantry routers at maker spaces or as services from the many individuals who have them in home wood shops
Remember this is not really about the material (concrete) being better than aluminum or whatever. It's more about the amazingly beautiful surface finish of the terrazzo material and the fact that a mold can be used to consistently reproduce the shape. Also, while the shape would be fixed by the mold itself, the color of the cement and inlay can be varied greatly to the preference of the end user, for instance to match decor or to give it a certain look.
Old 15th June 2017, 09:01 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Another option would be to make a DIY copy or at least take design cues from a famous speaker and do some key parts in the terrazzo concrete.

How about something based on the B&W 801?
Click the image to open in full size.

The concrete part could be the ball and its plinth (slanted top of woofer cabinet) that contain the midrange and tweeter. The DIYer would build the rest out of wood.

An 801 inspired DIY speaker using current drivers would be a pretty cool project!

Last edited by CharlieLaub; 15th June 2017 at 09:18 PM.
Old 17th June 2017, 04:06 PM   #19
Pallas is offline Pallas  Pakistan
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieLaub View Post
The guy can fabricate more or less any shape that you can make with a pour process and a mold. How about a sphere? Can do. Curved baffles, sides, etc.?
What about an egg (think Waveform) that could be used as a mini monitor or the "head" of a 3-way?
Old 17th June 2017, 04:51 PM   #20
HeyBill is offline HeyBill  United States
diyAudio Member

A pure open baffle to start might prime the pump.

Hide this!Advertise here!