Exciter Transducers for 3-way System

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey Everyone,

First time posting and a huge beginner to all this but I wanted to field a question and hopefully get a response. At my work we have been experimenting with the use of exciter transducers in simple applications where sound quality isn't of huge importance, making interactive touch tiles for children's play zones and such. However, I wanted to look into expanding the use of exciter transducers into stereo sound with the end goal of having a home audio system where the walls around the tv act as the speaker for movie or music purposes.

I was just going to use a 3way passive crossover to get the signal divided but as I was doing this I thought of what I think to be a pretty good argument against trying this. When you do 3way sound you're dividing it so that the drivers being used are specifically designed to handle low, midrange or high frequencies in order to get better sound. There are not really specially designed exciter transducers that are for specific frequency ranges (aside from bass shakers). This makes me think that dividing the signal won't significantly increase the sound quality.

If anyone needs background on exciter transducers here is a source:
https://www.parts-express.com/pedocs/buyer-guides/understanding-and-using-dayton-audio-exciters.pdf

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Robert

Of course you can "model" ( yes ! that's the exact word ! ) your own sound diffuser/vibrator/whatever . The exciter needs some mass to vibrate :confused:
There are the phisycal limations: you can make a thin piece of paper vibrate, and that's a better way of reproducing a, say, 10 kHz tone rather than a wooden table. Experiments can ( must ! ) be made for materials ( metal conducts sound more rapidly) and shapes.
So in the end, as you already know, the best way to play some reproduced sound is to use the state of the art that technique offers.
I mean, to make vibrate a piece of paper at only 10 kHz is hard, IDK if the material get stressed after some million cycles and thereafter has the same specifications.

Have a look at the DML loudspeaker topics both on DIYAUDIO and on TECHTALK PARTSEXPRESS.

Main issues would be impact of bass and treble extension IMO. Plus all of the little challenges designing and setting up.

I think you'd need some form of subwoofer. Not sure if a bass shaker will offer similar effects?!?

Maybe use large 1" XPS foam panels "reskinned", with a helper supertweeter and a subwoofer.

J.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.