Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Home Theater Speakers
Home Theater Speakers
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th September 2017, 12:10 PM   #11
HatlessChimp is offline HatlessChimp
diyAudio Member

I coild also overlap the peerless 830874 of needed and they are truncated but also the lower you go in the xo the more you can space them out I believe. But thats all for another day i have bigger fish to fry at the moment withe the all Illuminator build.
Old 12th September 2017, 12:29 PM   #12
Mrcloc is offline Mrcloc  South Africa
diyAudio Member

I don't know nearly enough to say anything on MTM, all I know is that FR can be theoretically good, but the speaker can be very directional. I've heard it's not easy, but it's something I've wanted to try as well, hence the question and interest.
Old 12th September 2017, 12:40 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrcloc View Post
I don't know nearly enough to say anything on MTM, all I know is that FR can be theoretically good, but the speaker can be very directional. I've heard it's not easy, but it's something I've wanted to try as well, hence the question and interest.
If you have the MTM for only the Front, Center, Right and all vertical and at ear height or within a foot then I cant see them being a problem at all. having 3 LCR horizontal would surely be bad.
Old 12th September 2017, 12:44 PM   #14
system7 is offline system7  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

The great strength of MTM is the improved dynamic range or power handling from a small driver. There are so many ways to skin a cat with the crossover, that some research is indicated.

Here's a nice MT design with the 830860:
Peerless HDS PPB 830860

The R2604/8320 is just the smaller magnet version of your 8330. 2dB quieter so an easy resistor adjustment on the tweeter circuit.

D'appolito conversion is also easy. Vifa PL14WJ-

That circuit will work with almost any 5" drivers. Below.

I have some pleasant 5" speakers which use the rarer BW3 idea which Joe D'Appolito advocated for MTM style too, this has different and better dispersion at crossover:
Click the image to open in full size.
Classic monitor designs?

IMO, at least 10-12L reflex per driver. 5" can surprise you with bass.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Vifa PL14WJ D'Appolito MTM.JPG (28.0 KB, 286 views)
File Type: jpg Troels Vifa PL14WJ-09-08 D'Appolito.JPG (35.7 KB, 90 views)
Old 12th September 2017, 01:05 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by system7 View Post
The great strength of MTM is the improved dynamic range or power handling from a small driver. There are so many ways to skin a cat with the crossover, that some research is indicated.

Here's a nice MT design with the 830860:
Peerless HDS PPB 830860

The R2604/8320 is just the smaller magnet version of your 8330. 2dB quieter so an easy resistor adjustment on the tweeter circuit.

D'appolito conversion is also easy. Vifa PL14WJ-

That circuit will work with almost any 5" drivers. Below.

I have some pleasant 5" speakers which use the rarer BW3 idea which Joe D'Appolito advocated for MTM style too, this has different and better dispersion at crossover:
Classic monitor designs?

IMO, at least 10-12L reflex per driver. 5" can surprise you with bass.
They need a LIKE button! Thanks friend! I will check this out. What Program is D'appolito using?

Last edited by HatlessChimp; 12th September 2017 at 01:10 PM.
Old 12th September 2017, 01:10 PM   #16
Mrcloc is offline Mrcloc  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Joseph D'Appolito is the father of MTM (aka D'Appolito configuration). I'm pretty sure he used something many of us are not familiar with: pen and paper.
Old 12th September 2017, 01:15 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

I use a very intuitive interpretation with Visaton Boxsim.

Find a similar project and similar drivers and you rapidly get an idea how it works. This Couplet Light MTM bpj project can be copied to the projekte file and fiddled with.

This is particularly useful if you need to reduce tweeter level 2dB in Troels' circuits. Which are easily inserted into projects like this. IMO, most good circuits will work with a whole range of similar drivers. It's easy enough to look at a frequency response for two similar drivers and figure out how that affects loudness.
Old 12th September 2017, 05:49 PM   #18
eriksquires is offline eriksquires  United States
diyAudio Member

I somehow missed this thread. I have a very similar design online, feel free to take data files and adapt.

A Speaker Maker's Journey: Introducing the LM-1C

The data files should be on this thread:

The LM-1 DIY Speaker is Available
Old 12th September 2017, 10:48 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriksquires View Post
I somehow missed this thread. I have a very similar design online, feel free to take data files and adapt.

A Speaker Maker's Journey: Introducing the LM-1C

The data files should be on this thread:

The LM-1 DIY Speaker is Available
Thanks Erik!

The tweeter is sooo asking to be smashed in by a kid haha. "Oooooo look its a button!"
Old 13th September 2017, 12:47 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Kids just love pressing in tweeter domes, IMO. Whatever the design.

I think you are in quite a happy place with your drivers, especially the 5" Peerless 830860 which is almost ruler-flat. We know the R2604-8330 tweeter is about 2dB louder than the 8320. Shouldn't be hard to build this MT Troels design: Peerless HDS PPB 830860

My old mate Troels is probably as lazy as the rest of us in using an existing 8L cabinet. But, IMO, you can use 12L and shorten the port slightly for deeper bass. R1011 possibly should be adjusted to 4.7R for correct level.

All you have to do for his MT design is adjust tweeter level down about 2dB. A very nice 5" speaker with a pleasant sounding ring-radiator. Possibly expensive scanspeak have higher quality control than cheaper Vifa. My only advice is that a 5" speaker doesn't go terribly loud without distorting. Just how it is. All, in speakers, is compromise.
Attached Images
File Type: png Troels Peerless 830860 R2604-3200.PNG (10.8 KB, 7 views)

Home Theater SpeakersHide this!Advertise here!