Can someone assist me in building this? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th June 2017, 03:27 AM   #1
AudioSF is offline AudioSF  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Can someone assist me in building this?

I hope I'm posting this to the right forum. If not I apologize, I'm new here.

I'd really love to build one of these:

https://shop.symbolaudio.com/products/tabletop-hifi

I am very confident with the woodworking / design / finishing aspect of making this, but as far as wiring speakers, amps, and related electrical I am a novice. I can solder, it's just I need guidance as to parts to use, and how to lay out the speakers, if that makes sense.

Thank you in advance.
Old 13th June 2017, 03:46 AM   #2
5string is offline 5string  United States
diyAudio Member

Your not going to get very far looking for help to poach someone's livelihood/design. It would be different if you had a sound bar and a T amp and wanted someone to help build a decorative housing for them. Look around for a free design for a small folded horn or T line (maybe a Cornu horn on it's side) and look to modify it and add an amp somewhere in the horn mouth.
Old 13th June 2017, 04:34 AM   #3
Tweet is offline Tweet  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioSF View Post

I am very confident with the woodworking / design / finishing aspect of making this, but as far as wiring speakers, amps, and related electrical I am a novice. I can solder, it's just I need guidance as to parts to use, and how to lay out the speakers, if that makes sense.

Thank you in advance.

As noted in the above post no one is going to back-engineer the product you have asked about in the above link but if you are willing to design your own version that's another thing where you might get help.
Here's a link to an SB kit that you might use or use their components to roll your own of sorts.
SB Acoustics :: Micro Kit

If you move your mouse's cursor over the kit components listing it will highlight the parts you will need for the crossover. The kit is likely to be cheaper than the parts bought individually so that might be a start for you in your own design.

C.M
Old 13th June 2017, 07:46 AM   #4
Lojzek is offline Lojzek  Croatia
diyAudio Member

Well at least the OP was sincere enough to reveal some of his intents with this project in mind and the fact is that this commercial offering is nothing special and really overpriced. Ruark Audio R4 is better and cheaper.

AudioSF, if you search the fora for FAST (full range assisted subwoofer technology) you will find information how to build one and design passive XO filters. The usual range where one wants to place the XO point should be low enough so the subwoofer appears non directive (100 Hz) and the full range still has enough output not to create a hole in the response. Any full range project basically needs a single RLC network consisted of one resistor, one capacitor and one inductor, all three in parallel with each other and as a whole in series with the full range driver to compensate for the boost of midrange frequencies that comes from the enclosure baffle. Once you have sorted this you need to low pass the woofer, passively or actively and high pass the full range, actively or passively along with equlizing the levels of woofer and full range. Since woofers of this kind ( 5" hifi model) are quieter than full range units, it needs to be amplified with volume control to meet the others two. Each unit has to be in its own enclosure volume, full range in a sealed and rather small one to try to achieve the right high pass response in order to try to avoid the electrical high pass. People usually like to keep the cost down by purchasing cheap 2.1 d-class Chinese amps but this is not a high quality solution, although good enough for the everyday use. Enough said for now.

Last edited by Lojzek; 13th June 2017 at 08:02 AM.
Old 13th June 2017, 07:58 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Bookshelf speakers are wrong in the way you position them: they should not be posed on shelf, like the name or topology suggests.
So two speaker cabinets on a shelf look and sound horrible. Indeed they should be called freestanding. Where the source is little ( compared to the wavelenght of the sound it's reproducing ) it resembles a point source, which is good for the brain to reconstruct the origin and the position of it.
In stereo the sources are two, and in the example I see one table with two speakers attached.
Old 13th June 2017, 08:03 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by picowallspeaker View Post
So two speaker cabinets on a shelf look and sound horrible.
So you might think that a single box would cause less harm, being less intrusive ( has less corner than two boxes ) and doin' the job of diffusing the sound thru the speakers.
That's fine as long as you listen to compressed files or you don't care about critical listening...
Old 13th June 2017, 08:27 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioSF View Post

Thank you in advance.
There is no problem, you can choose what you want, and we would say to you how to connect it if needed.
It seems to be a great small stereo loudspeaker, imaging should be fantastic.
Old 13th June 2017, 04:02 PM   #8
AudioSF is offline AudioSF  United States
diyAudio Member

It was never my intent to try and "poach someone's livelihood/design" as 5string replied. I liked the look of this design, and since I have a woodworking background I knew that aspect of the build is something I could accomplish. I have lots of Baltic Birch ply, and MDF in my shop, as well as some beautiful exotic woods that would make a nice face for the enclosure. My original thought was since I had these woods already, and can do the construction myself, I could assemble something like this for much less than $2,000 - I was thinking the speaker components, etc. would run around $200 or less (Parts Express quick estimate).

I understand if someone came to this forum saying I want to copy this exactly, and mass produce them at a lower cost, as that wouldn't be very respectful. I do not have $2,000 to purchase one, so I guess I thought building one myself for less money was ok to do. I can assure you, I'm making a total of ONE of these for my personal use.

If I have offended anyone, I apologize.
Old 13th June 2017, 04:31 PM   #9
Lojzek is offline Lojzek  Croatia
diyAudio Member

I have just watched the options mini dsp offers and it seems reasonable to avoid passive circuits and simply EQ the sattelites ( full range) and use the linkwitz transform for the woofer part with a high pass for extra low frequencies to protect it from overexcursion. 80 bucks mini dsp + plugin 2.1 and microphone. That's my suggestion and some decent amps.
Old 13th June 2017, 06:54 PM   #10
smg439 is offline smg439  Canada
diyAudio Member

You can do better by adding some tweeters! Maybe something from Dayton / PE ?

Hide this!Advertise here!