Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Can someone assist me in building this?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th June 2017, 09:41 PM   #21
AudioSF is offline AudioSF  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Response...

I have just watched the options mini dsp offers and it seems reasonable to avoid passive circuits and simply EQ the sattelites ( full range) and use the linkwitz transform for the woofer part with a high pass for extra low frequencies to protect it from overexcursion. 80 bucks mini dsp + plugin 2.1 and microphone. That's my suggestion and some decent amps.

I don't know what any of this really means.

You can do better by adding some tweeters! Maybe something from Dayton / PE ?

Ok, since these are "full range" speakers, plus a sub, I was wondering if I needed tweeters, or if that is taken care of by the full range?

You are looking for a laid back sound (medium oriented typical daylong radio listening), without immersive bass and trebles (more physical and fatiguing listening) ?
This design is for you !

What kind of sound are you looking for ?

Not sure. I just wanted to be able to plug in a source, or use BT to run off iPhone. It would be for indoor use, not long periods (an hour or two), something that can go reasonably loud and still sound clean. Music type would be mostly electronic / rock / no classical, etc.

I was thinking a 4" full range, and 5/14 sub woofer. Not sure how much it would need in terms of amp size...
Old 15th June 2017, 10:17 PM   #22
Lojzek is offline Lojzek  Croatia
diyAudio Member

Ok, nevermind my suggestions given so far. It would be good if you could get a chance to listen to a sound system you're interested in and if that would prove to be a positive experience, then we might know how to proceed further and what bits to get to make a similar product.
Old 19th June 2017, 09:02 AM   #23
hollowboy is offline hollowboy  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioSF View Post
I don't know what any of this really means.
It is good stuff, but a miniDSP + microphone would eat more than half of a $200 budget and is probably overkill if you want a cheap + simple build.

If you want to avoid doing any research or looking up any jargon, the easiest option would be to:

1) go to a computer / electronics store
2) find a 2.1 system (sub + satellites, as pictured) that sounds good to you
3) buy /steal it
4) move its parts into a nice timber enclosure / enclosures

Quote:
Ok, since these are "full range" speakers, plus a sub, I was wondering if I needed tweeters, or if that is taken care of by the full range?
A reasonably extended full range driver is good enough for me.

Listen to a half-decent 2.1 system (sub + satellites, as pictured) and see for yourself if you agree.

Quote:
Not sure how much it would need in terms of amp size...
You know how some half-deaf old people fall asleep, with their TV turned up so loud it keeps the neighbors awake? If you were to look their televisions, you'd probably find 3" speakers and a 10 watt amplifier.

Quote:
I was thinking a 4" full range, and 5/14 sub woofer
I gave you links (post 16) to a 4" full range (and two other possibilities), + a 6" woofer + a suitable amp, that are within your $200 budget. What more do you need?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A832337.jpg (24.0 KB, 55 views)
Old 19th June 2017, 01:10 PM   #24
mikejennens is offline mikejennens  United States
This speaker DIY thing, it's pretty addicting!
diyAudio Member

Another option is one of these:

http://wodendesign.com/downloads/Wod...abs-081015.pdf

placed end to end.

I built "The Redeye" with the Aura NS3-193-8A (https://www.parts-express.com/auraso...8-ohm--296-258). Unbelievable speaker that far surpasses it's price. You would need to keep it off the wall by a couple of inches, unless someone can verify how to put the port on the front.
It can be done very affordably (less than $50 for parts) and the build is fairly simple. It's all square cuts and the driver doesn't need to be rebated.
Mike
Jolida SJ502A, Squeezebox Touch, Paul Carmody's Sunflowers, Jeff Bagby's Continuums; Planet 10 HiFi's MarkAudio A 7.3 Frugalhorns and MarkAudio CHP-70s, Nola Brio Clones with a Voxel Sub and a bunch of others...
Old 26th June 2017, 01:25 AM   #25
hollowboy is offline hollowboy  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hi, I'm replying to your PM questions here because I don't often read my messages. Keeping it public also allows others to add info / correct any mistakes I make.
"Can I get an amp that has treble control to at least fine tune the sound if I wanted more highs?"
Yea, for example the cheap Lepai amps have tone controls. I'm not sure if these amps are decent quality.

NOTE: with many sources, you don't need tone controls on the amp. e.g. I often use the equaliser in Foobar media player (free). This is pretty good and can be made better with plug-ins. A quick Google search tells me that iTunes also has an equaliser. If your iPhone is going to be the source, I suggest you use that equaliser, rather than a couple of physical dials.
"Would I need crossovers for this, or is that handled by amp? "
Crossover not needed for what I suggested. The ~4" drivers I suggested all have fairly flat response, and would roll off at about 150Hz (in a sealed 1-2 litre enclosure).

The amp is simple, but the 150Hz lowpass for the bass should match the rolloff of the highs reasonably well, and the bass level can be adjusted.
"So the speakers you suggested (Tang Band 4") plus the sub, and the 2x15 +30 amp will be enough to provide semi clean sound with good volume? If I wanted to spend a bit more, and get an amp that had more power, bass and treble controls, what would that run in $$$? Would I have to consider how to handle heat given off by the amp in an enclosed box?"
Loud enough and clean enough is subjective. I suggest you:

-go shopping, try out some decent 2.1 (mains + small sub) PC speakers of similar size, to see if this configuration has adequate output for you.
AND/OR
-just make a prototype using the amp I suggested. If you realise you need more power, you can buy something bigger (and you've only wasted $10).

With more power, maximum volume is still going to be limited by the size of your box and the power handling of your speakers. Even with beefier (and more costly) drivers in a small enclosure, a 100 watt amp will NOT play 10 times louder than a 10 watt amp. There's diminishing returns.
"And the biggest question is if I ordered all of these parts would you be willing to offer advice and technical assistance as I put it all together??? you know a lot more than I do about sound."
I don't know much about electronics. That's my point - you don't need to know much. As the Parts Express page says (for the $10 amp):
The on-board jacks, potentiometer, and screw terminals mean you can get this board powered up and playing music in minutes. Just connect your power source using a 2.1 x 5.5 mm DC power plug, a 3.5 mm stereo audio source, and run speaker wire from the six screw terminals to you speakers and you are done.

Can someone assist me in building this?Hide this!Advertise here!