Enclosure w/ curved sides, need your help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello Folks,
I'm making 4 new boxes, 2 floorstanders and 2 bookshelves. Lute-like shape similar to the sonus fabers or lots of the curved designs we've seen around here lately.

I've built the skeletons for each speaker, and only need to laminate multiple layers of thin mdf on the sides to form the curves. Started with 1/8" mdf on one of the bookshelves and I'm having a heck of a time with it, at this pace I'll be done sometime next year. I've got three layers on only one side.

My process involves nailing down each little bit as I bend over the speaker and then clamping with some luggage tiedowns till it dries. This process is, as you can imagine, very slow.

So here are my questions:
Is there a better method?
Should I use construction adhesive or something else instead of yellow carpenters glue to glue the layers? (I'm worried I'm not getting good contact between subsequent layers w/ the carpenters glue)
Will my enclosures be rigid enough with just 2 layers of flexi-plywood or something similar that's easier to bend.

I'm having a hard time with the 1/8 inch mdf on the bookshelves, and I was planning on using 1/4 inch mdf on the floorstanders.

when i built the cabinet shown below i found that mdf was tougher to bend than ply. i used 3 layers of 4mm marine ply and alternated that with 3 layers on 3mm MDF.

to do this i first built a frame. each layer was laid on the frame. each subsequent layer was nailed and glued to the earlier layers and kept in place by over a dozen c clamps to dry over night. I managed 1 layer per day. cust lay, glue, clamp, nail. and i needed help.

took me 24 days + to complete 4 sides.

Attachments

• front of speaker.jpg
    front of speaker.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 1,039
Each side was left overnight to dry and then I cut the top and bottoms to a matching profile with a router and mounted them on a stongback, a plank that secured the ends aligned and the correct distance apart, the sides were then glued onto the ends in the jig and the strong back then formed a reference platform for the router to trim the front and back flat. The dowels in the picture are used both to align the ends on the strongback and to locate the front and rear faces.

Attachments

• dscn0125#002.jpg
    dscn0125#002.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 928
The brace can then be clipped into the body and glued into place before fitting the bitumen damping and foam, the panel, behind the speaker is the front before cutting the holes for the drive units. I made it this way as a trial run, using scrap I had lying about, but I would say that 6 mm mdf is too thick for this, I dont feel that the speakers are long term stable and will start to delaminate. I am now designing a more advanced construction, to be laminated from 3 mm ply to get a home brew version of gridded bracing inside the curved panels, for my next project, which is currently a mix of a faber style body with the EVEII units and XO as a starting point.

Hope the method seems clear.

mike.

Attachments

• dscn0124#003.jpg
    dscn0124#003.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 902
I have a curved sided project going now too.

I would suggest you not use thin MDF.. It’s much stiffer then I would have guessed.

Just getting started on layer 2., but i need to prebend the MDF for about a day or else it'll crack in 1/2 when i go to attach it.

http://home.comcast.net/~0fficeboy/D8/index.html
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Hey, you guys want to get in touch with Andy G so he can post your pics on his curved sides loudspeaker page. Pictures say a thousand words and it's all helpful for the beginner.

For myself, I'm using the translamination approach, that is, individual ribs cut on a CNC router and then laminated together in a multilayer stack with integral bracing and dividers.

Mos

The translam approach has 2 disadvantages.

1. u must have access to a nice machine to cut all the laminate together.
2. it wastes a lot of wood.

in my project wood wastage was less than 5%.

the abinet is about 16" deep (48"/3). 3 layers of MDF per side. 3 layers of Ply per side.

a 4'x8' sheet gave me 2 sides so 1 sheet of ply and 1 sheet of MDF made one speaker.

the wastage i had was mostly due t the holes cut in the braces.

I agree Navin, lots of waste and lots of time to make each layer if you don't have access to a cnc router.

I used my departments small laser cutter and cut an acrylic template from my CAD model for each of the frame members. There are six frame members per side, so 12 total. Rough cut each frame member then use the template and router to make 12 identical copies. For the translam approach I'd need 122 layers and 21 4 x 8 sheets of mdf.

I've tossed the idea of bent mdf. A combination of: borrowing my brother's pneumatic brad nailer and bending plywood, made my project move a lot faster. The bending plywood (aka wacky wood) is 3/8" thick, two layers glued together with the underlying frame seems sufficiently rigid.

Attachments

• robspk1.jpg
    robspk1.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 620
I used exactly 3 sheets of 2400 x 1200 (8' x 4') mdf at 25mm (1") thick.

The cnc work was perfect. Nice sharp edges, etc. Took them over 2 hours to cut everything. Each rib has 6 10mm registration holes in it which I'll slide dowels thru to line it all up. I start gluing it up next weekend.

What the major advantage to the extra expense of more board and cnc cutting is, is that cabinet assembly is like putting together a big 3D puzzle. Lots of gluing and time but I'm expecting it to be very satisfying from a DIY perspective.

They'll be heavy :)

Mos

laminated side jig

to explain the process I used to to make the curved panels shown above I have created the picture shown below. The green part of the image is the former, this can be made as a tramslam by pattern routing 30 or 40 profiles and gluing them together

The sheets for lamination (shown in pale brown)are cut to size, tite bond applied with a roller to all the faces at once and bound at both ends with parcel tape to keep alignment and placed in the jig as shown.

I have only drawn one set of clamps but I had 5 sets on a 40" length. The pink pressure rails are screwed to the top clamp bar to keep them at the correct spacing and the gray rods are lengths of threaded rod and nuts and washers. You then move around the jig tightening the nuts one or two turns at a time, until the edges of the laminates are pressed down on to the base. Leave the whole thing over night and the next day you have one perfectly curved panel. I used some pre-veneered 6 mm mdf I had lying about but it would be easy to veneer the curved panels at this point.

Attachments

• speaker-clamp.jpg
    speaker-clamp.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 467
Once the panels are made I cut the endpanels to fit the inside curvature using a router on a trammel, I establish the correct radius by trial and error and then make the set of 6 in one go (4 ends plus two braces)

I position the end panels in this jig by using small diameter dowels (1/4") placed on the center line of the endplates, these dowels are then used to center the end caps on the strongback, purple in the image below.

The orange ends are clamped in this jig and the curved side panels glued in place. Once the glue has dried the clamps are removed and the blue strongback fitted.

The flat outer surfaces of the strongbacks provide the register surface for trimming the edges of the panels using a router.

To finish I edge the front and back mdf panels with solid wood and after fitting the brace bitumen panels and wadding The are glued on using the dowels for alignment

When dry a combination of routers and handplaning finished the curved corners

Attachments

• strongback.jpg
    strongback.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 450
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.