AudioExcite and HULGICH AUDIO

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone,

I just want to share the news that now it's official!

AudioExcite Loudspeaker Design and HULGICH AUDIO is a team.

I wanted to wait to announce it before we got the first loudspeaker review from a major Hifi magazine and now finally we are there!

For more information about the AudioExcite Loudspeaker Design and HULGICH AUDIO teaming and the first loudspeaker review, see AudioExcite in cooperation with HULGICH AUDIO!

I will still from time to time release loudspeaker designs free to use even though I'm dedicated to helping HULGICH AUDIO as a technical Consultant.

In fact, I'm anticipating that I can share more driver unit measurements than before, thanks to that I've negotiated a semi sponsorship with a supplier of loudspeaker drivers.

Best regards

/Göran

Last edited:
Things that immediately "popped-up":

No use of STAC tweeter.. instead preferring SB ring-dome and the Peerless HDS tweeter. (admittedly more expensive drivers, but having heard each..)

Use of the Peerless HDS midwoofer 6 inch as a midrange.. instead of some of the 5" SB drivers.

..Of course I can see the HDS drivers used in combination with enough over-lap at the crossover to "balance-out" their respective strengths.. but it's a bit tougher to do that with a larger surface area driver and still get a good polar response near the crossover-point.

-just a few things that made me go "huh?" ..knowing the drivers you've worked with.

Last edited:
Things that immediately "popped-up":

No use of STAC tweeter.. instead preferring SB ring-dome and the Peerless HDS tweeter. (admittedly more expensive drivers, but having heard each..)

Use of the Peerless HDS midwoofer 6 inch as a midrange.. instead of some of the 5" SB drivers.

..Of course I can see the HDS drivers used in combination with enough over-lap at the crossover to "balance-out" their respective strengths.. but it's a bit tougher to do that with a larger surface area driver and still get a good polar response near the crossover-point.

-just a few things that made me go "huh?" ..knowing the drivers you've worked with.

Yes, there are a lot of design choices. :)

You have to find a balance between finding something that works together and is unique and hasn't been used hundreds of times before.

As a Consultant I'm trying satisfy the wishes of the customer, but of course if it's not technically viable, I would advice against it.

The Peerless HDS mid-woofer and the HDS tweeter (ScanSpeak) are a very nice combo, but I've seen this driver combo misused before.

From my personal experience with the HDS mid-woofer, I think a x-over point somewhere in the 1.8-2.2kHz area works the best and it needs a higher order x-over topology. I've tested e.g. LR2 type of x-over for it and it doesn't bring out the best of this driver. It's a combination of the distortion profile and cone break-up etc. On the other hand when you find the "sweet spot" for this driver, it sounds fantastic.

Regarding the driver choices, you have to wait and see, there are more models on the way. :)

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Regards

/Göran

As a Consultant I'm trying satisfy the wishes of the customer, but of course if it's not technically viable, I would advice against it.

Regarding the driver choices, you have to wait and see, there are more models on the way. :)

:cool:

Speaking of drivers.. I'd wish that SB improved the motor on their 4" mid.. and maybe go with a mineral-loaded poly version. (..I know there is always the 5" Satori, but I really like the good poly drivers with low damping surround - like AT's 4".)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.