Fostex Backloaded horns - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th March 2004, 04:41 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Fostex Backloaded horns

Hello , I have stayed in the backgroung doing alot of reading . Mainly learning about full range drivers. The Fostex drivers peaked my interest . So myself and a friend built a pair of backloaded horns using their cabinet reccomendation. I must say they turned out better than I had hoped. They are made from solid birch and pine 7/8" for front and rear, 3/4" for sides . The inside horn was made seperate from 3/4" mdf then cabinet built around it. Front baffle plate is solid pine. Unfortunately they are too large for my listening room , so I have put them on ebay, This not a advertisement just thought I would show what can be accomplished from visiting this forum.

Malcolm
Old 24th March 2004, 05:14 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hi dreaded 42.

Nice to hear about good experiences with Fostex and horns.
Have You got some pics to show us, please
I'd love to see them.
Wich Fostex did You use?
Old 24th March 2004, 05:24 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to officeboy
Well I saw them on ebay, a search for Fostex and they showed up pretty easy.
They do look pretty nice, and well built. Not my style but that’s not important.

Of course anyone else who checks the auction out should be warned to hold on carefully when you see the "reserve not met" auction starting price, you may wind up on the floor.

Anyways, nice job on your first (I think) project. To bad you don’t want to keep em.
Old 25th March 2004, 01:54 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default price

You think I'm asking too much , took 4 months to build. Looked at Cain and Cain sight their Abby's go for 1500.00 alot easier to build than these horns and their ibens go for 4500.00. Only about 350.00 extra to use the sigma drivers they use. Maybe you are right , cabinets I made have absolutely no flaws just thought price was reasonably compared to what is manufactured out there. Thanks for your feedback.

Malcolm
Old 25th March 2004, 02:43 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default picture

Here's a picture of the speakers.

Malcolm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg picture 004.jpg (63.5 KB, 249 views)
Old 25th March 2004, 03:27 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to officeboy
Mostly I'm saying there is a HUGE perceived difference in value from speakers made by “some guy”, and speakers made either specifically for someone, or by a company.

Not saying that they are not worth every penny your asking, just that it’s not realistic to expect to sell them at that price IMO. Of course I wish you the best of luck.

Hide this!Advertise here!