Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Won Horns @ LSAF - help me do something worthy with them
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st May 2017, 04:25 PM   #11
EndersShadow is offline EndersShadow
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post
I was looking at the measurements of the 2ft box with the Delta Pro 12. Mid-band it's 95dB at 2.83V, which is impressive. If you take 95dB as reference, then it does play down to 40H, then rolls off fast. The bass bump above that will sound nice, but will be dependent on room gain. That's darn good for that size speaker. It's not small, but considering my old rig had 11 cu ft bass boxes (external), it's not a monster.
Yeah, I was hoping to get away with a 1.5- 1.75 cubic foot box, but then I'd have to go with a 8" driver and that would likely be hard to find a high sensitivity one that wasnt an arm and a leg that would work in that type of design. I'm ok with a 2 cubic foot box as thats the smallest I think I can really get into without getting a lot of rolloff as you drop below 60hz.

I'm totally fine with significant rolloff at 40hz as I plan to use my sub with these, but I'd like the "option" of running them as pure stereo speakers and still be able to get a fair amount of the normal frequency bandwidth from most music. I dont listen to pipe organs ever, though I enjoy a fair amount of dubstep and electronic music, which digs deeper than these will go, hence the sub addition.

I'm anticipating running a highpass around 35 on the Definimax, not sure about the Delta 10, I'd have to look at the graphs. If you have the WinISD file created already, anyway you could attach it here? I'm not so much good with inputting the numbers in the right sequence to get them to not error out.

Also since this setup will be 2m or less from you when listening, I doubt I will even get it above 90 db.

For my sim's I'm using 100 watts as the input signal as I dont anticipate using an amp with more than that anytime soon. I'm going to run them off my Anthem which is 100 wpc @ 8 ohm x 2 channels per spec, so thats why I choose 100 watts for modeling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djn View Post
All the woofs mentioned will work well. If you have two amps, go with the MiniDSP. You can tweak the crossover parameters to fit your room much more persisly then messing with a passive. With those woofs and horn, going digital or SS on the woof and a small SET tube amp on the horn would be the nuts!!!
Yeah I thought of that, it just starts getting more complicated than I was hoping to go, but I am well aware of the benefits. With the MiniDSP as the crossover I would have to do a lot of work to get that right before running the Anthem ARC which I've found to do a STELLAR job at EQ. It would also basically make the amp channels in the Anthem a moot point as I couldn't use them.

Right now I JUST have the Anthem MRX-500 to work with so I could potentially use the marketed bi-amp feature to drive each driver independently, but that starts to get tricky I think....

Last edited by EndersShadow; 31st May 2017 at 04:32 PM.
Old 31st May 2017, 04:46 PM   #12
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I was at LSAF, you definitely have good luck in winning those horns! His room was definitely one of the better sounding rooms at the show.
Old 31st May 2017, 04:53 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkr View Post
I was at LSAF, you definitely have good luck in winning those horns! His room was definitely one of the better sounding rooms at the show.
I failed to make it to his room before they packed up unfortunately.

I enjoyed JWM, The Black Hole, Stereo Clarity and Blowtorch's rooms immensely. Each for a different reason.

I also really liked Skips room (Audio Thesis). Douglas Connections room was pretty cool too and I enjoyed seeing all the bling he brought with him. And those small bookies in the GR Research room blew me away for a desktop setup. Those things were awesome.

There were a bunch of us from another forum floating around and most of us agreed we will be back next year.
Old 31st May 2017, 04:56 PM   #14
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I liked the JWM room and Austin Audio as well as a couple of others. I bought an Ortofon Windfeld cartridge and a head shell from JWM at the end of the show.

I plan to be back next year, maybe even exhibit some gear.
Old 31st May 2017, 07:50 PM   #15
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

If you listen to Dubstep and electronic music then a sub is a no brainier. In those genres, the subwoofer is used as a musical instrument. Listening to more "normal" music, a solid 40Hz will be plenty satisfactory.

I've attached 2 WinISD files zipped to get you started.The Delta 12A and a Dayton pro 12 that should play as deep in a slightly smaller box, but at ~3dB less efficient. I hope they have the driver parameters included.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Woofer boxes.zip (1.0 KB, 3 views)
Old 31st May 2017, 11:39 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post
If you listen to Dubstep and electronic music then a sub is a no brainier. In those genres, the subwoofer is used as a musical instrument. Listening to more "normal" music, a solid 40Hz will be plenty satisfactory.

I've attached 2 WinISD files zipped to get you started.The Delta 12A and a Dayton pro 12 that should play as deep in a slightly smaller box, but at ~3dB less efficient. I hope they have the driver parameters included.
They extract as .wid files not .wpr which are what all my other WinISD files show as.

Am I missing something?
Old 1st June 2017, 12:30 AM   #17
diyAudio Moderator

Which version do you have?
Old 1st June 2017, 12:33 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

I think WinISD Pro 0.7.0.900
Old 1st June 2017, 12:35 AM   #19
diyAudio Moderator

It won't open the older files?
EDIT. I can't get that version to run properly on Windoze 10.
Old 1st June 2017, 12:45 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Weird, I'm running it on Windows 10 with no problems...

Try this version: http://www.linearteam.org/download/winisd-07x.exe

Won Horns @ LSAF - help me do something worthy with themHide this!Advertise here!