repair or discard Pyramid Metronome Seven speakers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just pulled a pair of Pyramid Metronome 7 speakers from the shelf in my closet after setting there for 25 years. Not surprisingly one of them does not
work ( make noise when connected to amp ). I've switched cables, connectors
and outputs etc and indeed one speaker is 95 percent dead. Can barely hear
some noise when I hold my ear right up to the speaker.

I read these days some pretty good speakers can be purchased for $75 a pair
and wonder it it is worth the trouble to try and fix this speaker just for nostalgic sake. I am in my mid 60's and have lost some hearing ability so whatever higher sound quality might exist in any speaker system I cannot hear it. I still have the one speaker and I could just set the amp on MONO
or I could buy some Dayton or Micca speakers for less than $100.
But I hate to throw things away. I have had these speakers for 35 years
and it is worth it just to tell the story that I have had them this long to buddies.
I removed the screws and glue and removed the two speakers in the box
and it would be easy to screw new speakers into the box but I fear there
is some lacking technical expertise to make the best decision in selecting
the optimum speakers to go into the speaker box.
Anyone have any cheap easy shortcuts here ?

perhaps there's a chance the crossover capacitors have failed to the tweeters (Peerless I assume) - - a late friend liked my MET7 back in the early 1980's better than a lot of other mini speakers. There should be woofers to work. The tweeter's phase plug looked like a cigarette filter IIRC. There may be a substitute tweeter (clone).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.