15" bass cabinet using prosound driver

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
I use below driver to support full range OB speaker.

MCM Audio Select 15'' Die Cast Professional Woofer - 500W RMS | 55-2983 (552983) | MCM Audio Select

But failed. It can be loud, but not go deep, I guess it is just arround 55Hz.

This driver also not good to use in a small subwoofer cabinet.

So I wonder if can use in in a narrow bass cabinet, that can work in the range of 40Hz - 120Hz.

My space is limited, so it is nice to have a cabinet at 420mm x 500mm x 600 mm (inner) (WxDxH), higher profile is also ok.
Because I could not measure actual TS parameter now, so assuming MCM spec is correct.

I have 04 of its, so either single driver or double driver is ok. I do not know these drivers are suitable for seal, or ported box, or an isobaric cone-to-magnet arrangement.

I use it with Coral Flat 8A open baffle, using biamp with B5 active cross over.

Thank you very much.

Hi,
But failed. It can be loud, but not go deep, I guess it is just arround 55Hz.

This driver also not good to use in a small subwoofer cabinet.

[...]

I use it with Coral Flat 8A open baffle, using biamp with B5 active cross over.

Surely you can make what you already have go deeper: the B5 has adjustable crossover points and attenuation levels.

As the manual says:

Finding the best settings for the crossover on a given system usually requires time and patience. [...]
If you have the ability to measure the response curve of the woofer / full range combination you can speed up the process.​

If you have no measurement tools at all, get some. This mic (and the app) is only ~ $25, and is a lot better than nothing.

https://www.parts-express.com/dayto...-for-tablets-iphone-ipad-and-android--390-810

What drivers are available for delivery to you? The MCM driver listed is designed for Professional Audio use, typically with judicious EQ, to get the deepest bass response.

In an IDEAL cabinet, that's around 45 Hz, not too shabby for the price.

It is a heavily damped design, with a Qts below 0.5 (I like the sound of large drivers with a Qts around 0.7).

May I suggest that you adjust your approach? Get the best quality midBass response from this driver and add a powered subwoofer (with sufficient amplification) to handle bass duty up to 150 Hz or so.

I use the DSPeaker 2.0 in parallel with my preamp to handle everything below 200 Hz, where my FR driver "droops" in response.

It's not a failure, if it guides you closer to your goal!

Chúc*bạn*may mắn!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Hi Guys, so happy to receive your advices.

I did not mentioned clearly, I tried it with just a baffle, no box.

So I think can improve a bit if put it in a box. But do not know which cabinet would fit my need.

The box size 420mm x 500mm x 600 mm (inner) (WxDxH) is just in my thinking, estimate from MCM data (127 liter) and my limited space. Isobaric arrangement is also my thinking because it can help to reduce the box size.

@Fenalaar,hollowboy: I guess I should go with ported box and measure actual response first.

@anji12305: I will start with box and 2 ways configuration first, because my B5 is just 2 ways. Will consider miniDSP and subwoofer if really cannot success.

Thank you all.

Below are some of my try with these drivers
acb154e2f51a8b6c404d6c3159b332cc.jpg
c3cabf1331aeeb998288d6253f813aa7.jpg

Sent from my E6883 using Tapatalk

bitinhvi.... Have you actually measured the drivers, ie, their FS and Q values?

If their FS is around 40 Hz, a pair of them wired in parallel should produce plenty of output into the upper 30's. You have enough baffle width and wing depth to support that kind of output. However, if their FS is close to 60 Hz, it is difficult, but not impossible to get them to work.

I recently made an H-frame for an 18-inch driver that had similar parameters. If memory serves me, the free air properties were Fs = 49 hz, Qts = .41, and spl around 96 dB.

As compared to a sealed box, the H-frame provides an added mass of air, without any air "spring" from the box. As a result, the resonant frequency of the H-frame reduced from 49 to about 45 hz. At the same time, the Q went from .41 up to about .60 for this H-frame, but the sensitivity dropped 3 or 4 dB. There is likely an "optimum" size of H-frame for a given driver.

For my configuration, some EQ was necessary. The good thing about these pro drivers is that they can take a lot of power anyway.

bitinhvi.... Have you actually measured the drivers, ie, their FS and Q values?

If their FS is around 40 Hz, a pair of them wired in parallel should produce plenty of output into the upper 30's. You have enough baffle width and wing depth to support that kind of output. However, if their FS is close to 60 Hz, it is difficult, but not impossible to get them to work.
@John: I have not measured actual yet. Looking for suitable Mic.

@all: Regardig the box, I am considering between 02 types, using pipe or using transmission line. Could you pls advise which way to go? Thanks.
37bf5163d907bed0e857718da5c9bee1.jpg

Sent from my E6883 using Tapatalk

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.